1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Premium vs regular unleaded fuel.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

2. steved

steved Former Member

I have not tried premium in this truck...it seems to like 87 just fine. Running 89 definitely make the low RPM performance of this truck smoother in hot weather, less lugging/surging.

However; I have played this game with my old beater Subaru Outback. Its a fuel injected 2.5 boxer. I have found (until they started spreading the prices out), I could run slightly more expensive 89 octane, the car ran better, and the mileage improved...it was enough that the increase in mileage offset the cost of the 89. Now that 89 is a lot more expensive than 87, the old car gets 87 and I live with the decreased mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really...regular gas was in the 112 Octane range in the late 60s...before the EPA came into the picture. I find it funny, a friend of mine with a 68 New Yorker that weighs nearly 6k pounds, rides better than any current production car, and sports a 440 big block with a 4-barrel gets 25 mpg on the highway consistently...never understood how burning more gas per mile netted less overall emissions...

Friends of mine would go to the local airport and buy avgas when they knew they would be spending the night racing in town...they never had any issue, and those cars were turning between 8k and 9k RPM (balanced/blueprinted stuff)...
  3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Stchman...never get in a debate with an idiot....there is no way you can win.

In a related item...did you know that the guy who stars in one of the "car rebuilding" shows, i think it might be "car chasers" made the same stupid statements on t.v. as the guy in your debate made. How can someone who is supposed to be a car expert make such idiotic comments? Maybe that is where your debater got his info.

Jim