Problem fueling

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by stenov, Dec 3, 2009.

1. stenov

stenov New Member

Have a [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]2006 [COLOR=blue! important]GMC[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Serria. Have been driving around with a check [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]engine [COLOR=blue! important]light[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] for some time. It is a p0455 EVAP large leak detected. I have been trying to get a smoke tester to find the leak. I now also have a problem filling the tank. I get spit back while fueling. Have resorted to filling with a funnel to cut down on fill time. Do you think it could be a vent valve? Any suggestions?

2. jonnybgood

jonnybgood New Member

I read every thread I could find on this subject and to start with every time I searched for the code P0455 I got a result for code P0449 . Confusing from the start. Then I tried everything everyone recommended ; change both the solenoids change the tubing, etc.with a ridiculous 38 bucks for a new fucking gas cap . The tube running across the top of the engine to the solenoid near the front of the block was broken at the connector on the other end where it descends near the firewall. This connection is inconveniently tucked away where it is so hard to get at you would have to think some kind of idiot designed it. Or someone wants to force you to pay a dealer for repairs.
    Fixed that still got the code P0455.

So I bit the bullet and went to the dealer for the smoke test and I felt so ripped off because any responsible mechanic would've known from the get-go there was no need to do the smoke test if he had done this kind of work before. He could've diagnosed the problem immediately because there was a stench of gasoline everywhere within 10 feet of this truck and drops of oily gasoline on the floor.

But they had to make it worth their while and hose me for $150. I hope I can save you that expense and tell you that if all the other things don't work the problem will be your sending unit a.k.a. your fuel pump .
    The dealership advised me they would have to lower the fuel tank to replace the unit and the cost would be around $1400.

I Took it over to my buddies where we undid the eight bolts that hold the box on then disconnected wiring to the tail lights and took off three screws in the filler neck. Lifted the box off. There before us was the top of the sending unit with three terribly corroded connections and little jet streams of a gas spewing in several directions. For such an important component to be so cheaply made on a truck less than seven years old is extremely disappointing.
    I ran over to a local parts store and got the replacement for $440 installed it and everything has been fine ever since.

This all together took us about four hours, and I saved about $1000. I think if other members here find the same problem GM should be covering the cost of this vital component being replaced .

Goldie likes this.