GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Problem with AC

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 4runnerGuy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. 4runnerGuy

4runnerGuy New Member

First off, I didn't know where to post this so feel free to move it if this is the incorrect spot.

We have a 2003 Suburban and it has developed a problem with the AC in the back. We have the dual zone heating and cooling with the front having it's own controls and then the back having it's own controls also.

The problem is that when we try to get cold air to blow out only hot air comes out. It seems as if the blower is still fine, but whatever makes the air cold is not working. Is this a common problem? Expensive?

Any insite to this problem would be much appricated.

Thanks. :happy:
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

Welcome to the site! Hopefully someone will have the answer to your problem shortly.
  3. GaryL

GaryL New Member

The blend door in the back is probably stuck or the motor that drives it is broke. It is all behind the side panel in the back.
  4. 4runnerGuy

4runnerGuy New Member

Ok. I'll investigate that. Is it easy to remove the pannel in the back? Which side?

I've taken a lot of my 4runners interior apart in the past so I know the basics.

How much would it cost to replace that motor?
  5. 4runnerGuy

4runnerGuy New Member

So I just went out and looked at it and it was really easy to take apart. The unit is on the passenger side.

What should I be looking for. I didn't completely remove the pannel, but I saw a big black box back there. Is it in that?
  6. GaryL

GaryL New Member

Inside the big box are two blend doors. One controls which vents it blows out and the other controls temperature. The motors should be on the outside of the box. I haven't done this on a GM yet, but I'm in the process of doing it on my wife's Durango. On hers, the doors were broken.
  7. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member

How hot is the air that is coming out? Does it seem the same temperature as if you had the heat on or is it just not cold? Do you have the A/C turned on in the front when doing this? If the A/C is not turned on up front, the compressor is not going to be engaged and the rear A/C is not going to work.
  8. 4runnerGuy

4runnerGuy New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. We ended up just taking it to a local shop Saturday morning and they were able to fix it in a few hours. They just flushed the system and that fixed it. It cost like $150ish, but it was worth it to us due to the fact we are going on a trip this coming week.

They said they got the heat to blow 105 degress and the air to blow 42 degrees. That seemed pretty good to me.
  9. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Have a safe trip.
  10. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member

I think 105 is kind of low. I seem to remember putting a thermometer right in the vent and seeing it around 140 or more.