Problem with headunit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by crazyguy, Apr 5, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. crazyguy

crazyguy New Member

Well i got a problem with installing an aftermarket head unit, well since i have an 02 suburban with out the bose system but with onstar, when i installed the radio, no sound came out? sombody told me that i needed the onstar bypass, do i have to get it? or can i tottally remove onstar since i dont use it???
  2. SQSilverado

SQSilverado New Member

I just installed a head unit i n my 06 and when I got my wiring harness I was asked if I had onstar, I was told that there are like three wirning harness' for the GM trucks. One for onstar one with the door buzzer and one without anything. I had to pay like $70 for mine with the door and seat belt chime. And it's louder than the factory chime. I'm not sure about remove the onstar I've never heard anyone doing that. Good Luck.
  3. crazyguy

crazyguy New Member

So there is no way of using an aftermarket head unit with out buying that onstar bypass? i thought that was only if you wanted to keep onstar using an aftermarket head unit?
  4. Project1

Project1 New Member 100 Posts

yea there is 2 dif harrnesses one with onstar and the other with out but that chime crap is irratating as hell you were lucky with the 70 dollar harrnes every where i went it was 80 plus tax :grrrrrr:
  5. nhenson1

nhenson1 New Member

STOP!

here's what you do: there are TWO harnesses that plug into the factory radio. one of them is the conventional GM plug that has power / antenna / speaker connections...and the other is a tiny connector with like 4 or 5 wires in it. in the tiny connector with 4 or 5 wires, there is a pink wire. if you run the blue/white remote output of the head unit (or the RED wire if there's no blue/white) into the PINK wire of this harness, your sound system will fire up. this is the factory amplifier turn-on wire. i've saved people bookoo bucks doing it this way tons of times.
  6. crazyguy

crazyguy New Member

Aww man Thanks A bunch.... it really helped.
  7. jplynch

jplynch New Member

similar head unit problem in 02' Tahoe

I installed my Pioneer DEH-p3000IB head unit into my 02 Tahoe and it will turn on and light up like it's working but there will be no sound from my speakers. Sometimes if I turn my electricity on it will come on, but if I turn the car all the way on it will still act like its working fine, but with no sound. It will work fine sometimes but most of the time it doesn't put out sound. The people at BestBuy said to buy like a 70 dollar wiring harness for it to be able to work with the OnStar, but I'll probably try your method first. Any more advice?
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Dont buy car audio from Best Buy, it is expensive and the product the sell for harnesses is JUNK! Cant remember the name for sure its like Dynex I think.
  9. jplynch

jplynch New Member

did that work?

Did the advice that guy gave you about running the white/blue wire into the pink wire work? because I have the same problem in my 02' Tahoe
  10. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If there is a wiring from remote out to pink wire works, this is the best way. If i am not mistaken, the 02 gm trucks have the non-upgradeable analog onstar that you cant use now if you wanted to. So my view, although i do not have onstar is thisL

why pay for a harness to retain a feature I couldn't use if i wanted to?

does that concept seem a bit weird to anyone else?:lol: