Problem with Intake gasket?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by markopolo311, Mar 16, 2007.

1. markopolo311

markopolo311 New Member

Hi guys. I was having problem with my 99 Silverado and I found these forums to see if you guys could help and have some input. There's water getting into the crankcase. In about a week's time there's a noticeable increase in fluid level. I've heard from other people that this happens alot on Silverados because of bad intake gaskets, you guys heard of this?

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just did mine on our 94 burb But it had 180,000

They go

Is the oil milky colored?

If so, ya you need a head gasket.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Intake gaskets are a common problem in all GM vehicles of your vintage. Some people blame it on the Dex-Cool, some blame it on poor manifold design, and some blame it on bad gasket design. A local shop owner who does a radio show locally claims they do 10 GM intake gaskets to one of everybody elses. I've had to do the intake manifold gasket on mine. Fortunately, mine was leaking externally and didn't get coolant into the oil.

Which engine do you have?

Whatever it is, you need to get it fixed. Coolant is a very poor lubricant, and it won't take long to burn up the entire engine if coolant is getting into the oil.