1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problem with Suburban's made in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Once in awhile, I'll browse for a new Burb, and I notice people's comments.

This one caught my interest. Do you think there is any weight to this claim?

http://www99.epinions.com/content_230845615748
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Interesting. Personally I doubt there's anything to it, but I've never seen a detailed study of Mexican made vs other. A few specific thoughts:

He complains of the transmission (can I assume he has a 1500 with a 4L60E). A lot of people complain about the 4L60E, but this is the first complaint I've seen that tries to tie it to Mexico. Remember that "made in Mexico" means the final assembly plant. It doesn't necessarily tell us where each component was made. I don't know where the 4L60E's are made. He doesn't say at what mileage the transmission went so he might have just got a normal life out of this 4L60E and been a little lucky on the previous ones. Or maybe some of the previous ones were 2500 which would have a 4L80E which has a much better reputation.

A lot of his other complaints I've heard elsewhere, too. His comment is the first one that tries to tie this into Mexican made vs. other.

My '98 was made in Mexico. At 105K miles, it still has the original 4L60E, and has been a good truck over the last two years. I've had to replace intake gaskets (a lot of others have, too), water pump, and ball joints, and the idler/pitman arms were previously replaced. All common things, it seems. Not mention, these complaints extend beyond Subs to the other Chevy fullsize.

In short, I don't think there's any data out there to support or refute his claim. He's basing the claim on the 1/2 dozen Subs/fullsize chevy's he's owned out of how many hundred thousand that have been manufactured. With a larger sample size (1000's or even 100's) with all the pertinent data, I might be inclined to believe it more.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Trans rebuild was 110K, the average mileage for a rebuild (125k-135k) is a little higher this mileage isnt that low for a rebuild.
    Mexico was the final assembly point and almost all parts and pieces were shipped pre made to Mexico for assembly. I suspect they got a truck that didnt quite live up to their expectations of how their previous Suburbans did. None of the problems listed are out of the ordinary for a GM truck of this age and mileage.
    Hope he has better luck with the mini van or he'll be bashing it on some webpage.
  4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know what they pay workers at GM plants in Mexico, but at the VW plant (where they mfg the new beetle) assembly workers earn $25/day. Sad when assembly jobs have to go to lower wage markets, but at least there are a few good jobs south of the border.
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd like to hear Fiero's input on this one. As far as I knew all suburbans were made in Mexico.

I think someone just wanted to b*tch about it, and the internet makes a convenient place to setup your soap box.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Arlington, Texas GM plant has been building Suburbans, Tahoes, and trucks longer than any other plant GM.
  7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well see, I'm definitely no authority on where burbs are made. :lol:
  8. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Burb are/were/have been made in Texas, Canada, Wisconsin, and Mexico.

As far as where the tranies are made that I cannot answer off the top of my head, I can and will find out. Just give me a little time.

My general biatch with Mexican made anything is that it takes work away from hard working Americans.

Fit and finish is also a problem.

But you see for every Burb made in Mexico we loose two jobs here in America. The company still sells the truck for the same amount that they would get for one made here. Yet it cost them 1/3 the labor. Good for the company, bad for the person buying it.

I will check into the tranies POO, (point of origin)
  9. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

My '89 burb was made in the Flint truck and bus plant
  10. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Mexico
    Ramos Arizpe 

Hourly: 3,305
    Salaried: 129
    Products: Pontiac Aztek, Chevrolet Cavalier, Chevrolet Chevy, Pontiac Sunfire, Buick Rendezvous
    Engines: V-6, 3.4L and 3.1L; 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 partial engines for SPO
    Stampings: Internal and external panels for Chevy
    Year Opened: 1981
    Plant Size (sq. ft.): 259 hectares

Mexico
    Silao Assembly 

Hourly: 2,766
    Salaried: 191
    Products: Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Chevrolet Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade ESV
    Year Opened: 1994
    Plant Size (sq. ft.): 1.2 million
    Union Local: Consideración de Trabajadores de Mexico

Plant Facts:
    Plant started building saleable vehicles in January 1995
    Reached full line speed on all-new Chevy and GMC full-size SUVs ahead of schedule

Mexico
    Toluca Assembly 

Hourly: 373
    Salaried: 199
    Products: Medium-duty trucks: Chevrolet, GMC C-series
    Engines: L-4, 3.0L; L-4, 1.4L & 1.6L; L6, 4.1L and 4.8L; V-8, 5.7L
    Castings: Head, blocks, crankshafts and miscellaneous castings
    Plant Size (sq. ft.): 43 hectares

Mexico
    Toluca GM SPO Mexico 

Avenida Industria Minera No. 700
    Fracc. Industrial
    Toluca, Edo de Mexico C.P. 50000
    Hourly: 78
    Salaried: 107
    Products: Warehouse/Distribution
    Plant Size (sq. ft.): 210,856

Plant Facts:
    Plant started building saleable vehicles in December 1994
    Vehicle production currently for Mexican domestic market

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/plants/index.jsp

Info from GM corporate site.

This is what I could find about GM production in Mexico. I know there are Motors made down there, I believe at the Toluca Assembly plant.