1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problem with Truck starting

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ffaboy1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ffaboy1

ffaboy1 New Member

I'm no mechanic...this will become real evident soon once I begin to type this out. Here's my issue...I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado and for the past couple of months I have been having difficulties getting it started. In the morning it usually starts right up once I turn the ignition. After it has been run for awhile and I turn it off and then try to start it again it can sometimes take me two or three times turning the key before it cranks. When I turn the key it sounds like it is trying to start but doesn't fully. The thrid time is usually it though and it starts right up. I've had several suggestions on what may be causing this but let me know what you all think and if you have any suggestions on how it may be fixed. Thanks.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What size motor? When was the last time you did what I call a full service, change spark plugs, clean throttle body and idle air control (IAC) change the fuel filter, plug wires ,cap and rotor if you have a 5.7
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on the full service. On my 5.7 I replaced my cap and rotor and plugs and that was the ticket right there.
  4. ffaboy1

ffaboy1 New Member

more on the truck

the truck is a v-8 5.3 Fuel Injected with automatic transmition
  5. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

I'm having similar issues but I have trouble starting in the mornings. When the truck is warm, starting is easy.
  6. pasobubba

pasobubba New Member

Can be a symptom of leaking fuel injectors . Too rich at start is okay when cold but not when hot. Several tries and the excess fuel is pumped out so it starts up. Now I re-read your post and see it "three tries before it cranks" Really? You mean the starter doesn't crank the engine first tries? Confusing.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Is Eastvale in the high country? Does it crank normally but not fire? Tired battery, too heavy oil, worn starter etc etc. Cranks ok > poor spark, compression, etc
  7. Dontlookforme

Dontlookforme New Member

hey, buddy. Just off the top of my head, i would think that this sounds alot like a ignition or fuel system problem / fuel not reaching the injectors. Other issues to check for are clogged air filter, low cylinder compression and EVAP system. When was the last time u had a tune up?? (coil packs,spark plug wires,spark plugs,fuel filter) i'd change fuel filter, and get a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure at start up, while running and once the key is turned off for 5min. the fuel pressure shouldnt drop mor than 5 psi!

let me know if this helps or if u find out whats wrong..... Thanks, Jason
  8. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

Eastvale is around Norco, Ontario, Mira Loma. Yes, it cranks normally but doesn't fire. Could be the battery. I just put in some Amsoil 10w40 into the motor and did all basic tune up stuff. I'm betting it's the battery.