1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 97chevz71, Aug 22, 2009.

1. 97chevz71

97chevz71 New Member ROTM Winner

I was wondering if anybody has this problem. well first i have a 97 silverado and one day after i bought it i hit the light switch and broke it clean off. So i had it replaced and it work for a year. Now when i turn my lights on at night they will stay on for a while. Then for some reason it will kick back into day time runing lights. Then when it does that i have no HIgh Beams. So i was wondering if i need to replace the whole unit again or is there something that i can do. Thanks in advance
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

How on earth did you break that rotary switch? Sounds like you may need a switch, but pull the dash first and make sure the connector is tight on the switch.

When the DRLs come on, they are actually high beams, at a reduced voltage. So you can't see very well, yet you are still blinding oncoming traffic.

And, when the DRLs come on, you are probably losing your marker/taillights too. Which makes you almost impossible to be seen from the side/rear.
  3. 97chevz71

Yeah that another thing the taillights go byby. I just read another thread that people were pulling the fuse to stop there drl from coming on. I was wondering if that would solvve it. and i wanted to everything possible first before i try to take the hole swicth out. Because the guy said that put it in for me that he had to drop the whole dash.
  4. 2COR517

I wouldn't pull the DRL fuse at this point. You might be left rolling down the highway and lose everything.

That dash is super simple to pull off. Literally just grab the edges of it and pull. I did it when I put in my new Alpine.
  5. 97chevz71

So pull it and see if there is lose wires. So you are saying just pull the srounding around the swithc.
  6. 2COR517

You can see a break from where the "Face" of the dash wraps around to the side/top. Get your fingers in there and wiggle and pull. There's a harness with a bunch of wires connected to that switch. It's possible your buddy broke the clip that holds it on, and it's loose.

I just looked at Autozone's site, the switch is $50. Not cheap, for sure.
  7. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

If you end up needing a switch I have an extra one, I'll make you a better deal than autozone.
  8. 97chevz71

Thanks guy might give er a try today
  9. 97chevz71

Well the dash is out and the switch. Guess it time to buy a new one.
  10. 97chevz71

Well guys i am back again. Replace the switch with a brand new one from classic parts of america. Back when i first post this thread now i have the same problem going back to daytime running light when i am going the light on. What should i do now any suggestions !!!!!! Need help