Problems after Onstar removed from 2011 Silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Finance, Sep 24, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Finance

Finance New Member

When I remove the 2 plugs from the Onstar box, here's what happens.

1. ABS light on
    2. Emergency brake light on
    3. Traction control light on
    4. Instant fuel mileage indicator doesn't work
    5. Speedometer doesn't function
    6. Engine service light on

Anybody else experience any of this or know how to make this vehicle operate correctly without Onstar?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well first plug the box back in. Here on the site there is a how to on properly removing it from the truck. Just remember the OnStar box is connected to all the systems you mentioned because it can shut off engine and has partial control of brakes if vehicle is stolen. But not sure why speedo isn't working it should be separate.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Speedo ties into the ABS function.
    GM has a way of disconnecting On Star, but of course their gonna make you pay to get it disconnected.
    I know they hook it to the diagnostic scanner, not sure what they do while connected.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yup, Same thing happened to mine when I unplugged. Ended up plugging it back in but Im going to disconnect the antennas at least. Havent done it yet though. Its all part of the system so onstar can notify you when you need to change your oil, and why your engine light is on, and oh yeah dont forget to turn you in when it detects alcohol in the cab.lol just kidding but that will be next.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In NNBS trucks OnStar is apparently tied to far more than on NBS trucks. Disconnecting the antennae is sufficient to disable remote control and logging of the vehicle via OnStar. That's all that most people require to protect their privacy.

I never liked the idea of a 'black box' in my truck, though, which is why I tore it out of my NBS truck. :happy: