1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problems during fill ups

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mvpadron, Aug 31, 2009.

1. mvpadron

mvpadron New Member

I have a 04 Silverado and for the past couple of days I've been having issues with putting gas in my truck. Once the pumps start it will only pump maybe 1 gallon then it thel automatic shut off kicks in. It's been taking me 5 mins to put 3 gallons in. I've checked to see if there were any leaks in the tank but I couldn't find any. What could cause this and would this be an easy fix or and expensive fix?

Please help!!
  2. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

well i would check your rubber hoses to make sure there not pinched mainly the vent tube also make sure your gauge is not messed up but that does involve dropping the tank and pullin the whole pump out and such
  3. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i have the same problem, it has to deal with some of the pumps, they pour gas out faster, then it hits the cut off, and make it a pita to fill, most of the newer gas stations have this problem, the ones that have been around for a while dont have that problem with me, it has nothing to deal with your truck, its the gas stations, i even took mine to the dealer, they told me that, so dont worrie about it, it happens with my dads work van, his jeep, and my moms truck,
  4. mvpadron

mvpadron New Member

Thanks for the fast reply, I did forget to mention that also a warning keeps coming on indicating "Tighten Fuel Cap" and the check engine light is on.
  5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure that you turn your truck off when you're pumping fuel. The ECU will see a drop in fuel pressure if you let your truck idle while the cap is off and throw a code.