1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problems removing brake rotors on truck-K2500

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by wheeler459, Jun 2, 2011.

1. wheeler459

wheeler459 New Member

Hi all,

I hope there is someone who can help me. I am having a devil of a time getting the front rotors off the front of my 1996 K2500 5.7 truck. I got the calipers off which was a bi$#%.

I sprayed PB blaster on the studs and around the back side of the rotor where it touches the hub. I got the spindle nut off with the 36mm socket. By the looks of the backside of the rotor, its onto the hub pretty good with a fair amount of corrosion. Am I:

a.) missing a step in the rotor removal process or
    b.) not knowing what the tricks are to doing this

I have read about people taking sawzalls and cutting the brakes off like pizza wedges but is there something else. Please help!
  2. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

If you have a dead blow hammer you can hit the rotor with that to try and knock it loose. or look on the front of the rotor near the lugs. If there is a threaded hole (or two) you need to find a bolt that will fit in there. this is put in some rotors to help with removal. you thread the bolt in with a socket and alternate holes to push the rotor off. Not sure if it will be on your rotor or not but that is one method. After that you may be able to heat it where it sits on the hub and eventually work it off with a dead blow hammer or the bolt method.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The rotor shouldn't be that hard to take off. Assuming you took the center spindle nut off, the rotor should virtually fall off. A hammer can help, but I don't think it should be neccesary.
  5. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

You may try this trick. i've never seen it done, but it looks workable.

6. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

You shouldn't have to remove your spindle nut as long as it is 4wd. I believe all 2500 and 1500 newer chevys use hat style rotors. If you are replacing the rotors get a big ball peen hammer and hit the corner of the rotor near the studs all the way around. Be sure not to hit the studs. Good Luck.