1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problems! Squeeking when accelerating

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chevyman224, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Chevyman224

Chevyman224 Rockstar 100 Posts

Today as i was leaving I got on the highway and i noticed a squeaking noise. And as i accelerated it got even louder. I have no idea what the noise could be? I was thinking brakes but I really don't know. Also I just put my rims and tires on about 2 weeks ago if that may be a factor.
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Does the "squeak" sound like it is following the rotation of the wheels?
  3. Chevyman224

yes. i took the back tires off. i checked the brake pads and they still have plenty life left on the backs. however i did not get to take the fronts off and check yet.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It "may be" warped rotors. I'm sure you could probably tell if it were the wheel bearings or "U-joints".
  5. Chevyman224

I figured it out. Its the u joints. HOPEFULLY it wont cost that much to get fixed.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That would have been my inital guess, they are easy to do yourself, the only thing is that to retain them, the factory injects plastic into them so the plastic must be melted out with a propane torch, alot will come out considering the small space, the joints themselves should be around 25 a piece. i did mine myself and had i known of the plastic before hand it would have only taken 30 minutes or so. just make sure you get the rear tires up on ramps so that when you pull the driveshaft out no fluid comes with it.
  7. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

dont forget about NOT dropping the needles inside the cup while installing new that ruins them quick
  8. Chevyman224

I think it will covered under warranty. If im right my 5 year/100,000 mile warranty isn't up yet. But it only warrants the drivetrain. So i might be in luck.
  9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good luck with the warranty part, if you manage to pull it off be sure to let us know as others may find it useful!!
  10. Chevyman224

ok awhile back i noticed my u joints were squeaking. Well today it was brought into the dealership and found that all my u joints needed to be changed. My computer on my truck was going irratic. Andd my master cylander on my brakes had a crack in it causing it to leak. A total of about 2300 dollars. And its allll covered so far im pretty happy about this and my truck should be home tomorrow afternoon.