1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Problems Uploading? Keep Image Size Small

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

ERROR WHEN UPLOADING IMAGES?
    The #1 reason that users can't upload photos to the photo gallery is the size of the file. With modern 8+ megapixel camera, each file can come out at 5 MB or larger. Our server can't handle that right now, so there is a soft-limit of about 1.5 MB per file that more or less will stop the upload from being successful if you go over that size.

You can get any number of free software packages to resize your photos. Most cameras come with some type of tool to do this, you can also get Google Picassa to resize and output your photos into a single directory that you can upload too.
  2. Camp Image

Camp Image New Member

And how can resize the image?
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

The quickest way to resize photo's if you are posting them here is to use a "Web Album Generator" if you photo's are already jpgs.

Web Album Generator's basically take all the pics in the specified folder and make a web album out of them with a few clicks.

You don't need the complication of a heavy photo editing tool to do that.

:)
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Right now? Interesting. When do foresee the server software being able to handle current/modern day image file sizes?
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That post I made was from 2.5 years ago. However, the last time I checked, even Facebook had a 4MB limit on photo upload size. We're at 2.??MB photo upload size. The new server does have the ability to go larger and then we resize, but some of the new cameras can take 10MB photos ... that resolution is so high that you could make a billboard out of it, totally unnecessary for a website.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I understand this. However, your software takes what is uploaded and compresses it. When I upload 1.5MB files that are clear as day what people see on the site is a compressed, less clear, sub-100k image. Thus, the upload size is irrelevant for everything except bandwidth use ... and my question was really aimed at finding out when we'd get out of the sub-100k dark ages and at least into the 1-3MB image sizes of 10 years ago.