1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Procharger questions

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by nickpatton_189, Jun 14, 2010.

1. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

So i might be in the market for one, anyone know how much a good kit with everything needed will run? And also what should be done to the engine if anything to handle it? And out of all forced induction witch would be the best and easiest way
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You need to talk to TYMBOM but, he got banned. He had a Pro-Charger and seemed to know his stuff.
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

You're looking at probably $5000+ for everything.
  4. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

We have quite a few customers running Prochargers, and they are pretty good kits. They can be had for ~$3K, and I would strongly recommend running an intercooler.
  5. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Again as I've said elsewhere this comes down to what you want to do with it. You want pulling power? You want high end horsepower? How much are you looking to add; just a nice little bump, or double what you currently have?

Procharger kits themselves, as Jenna said, will be about $3kish. But that's just for the procharger stuff (including innercooler and piping). Keep in mind that stock equip is not meant to handle boost (or much boost), which means you'll likely also want to upgrade most if not all of the following as well: intake, throttle body, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, and (if going all out) heads and cam.

That being said, if you want to just go for 4-6 lbs of boost, you'd probably be ok with stock setup, maybe only injectors/fuel pump if it's starved for fuel. But personally if I spend $3500, I'd rather spend another $500-1000 and get the most out of it, or look for a cheaper alternative such as a turbo kit or just heads/cam/intake, etc.

Turbo is going to be cheaper, but is a more specific powerband, supercharger will give you more consistent power across the rpm range. If you want just low end torque or high end hp, turbo is a cheaper way to go. if you want both, go supercharger. And again both benefit from upper engine upgrades, which I recommend doing first.
  6. nickpatton_189

I don't want to much, just a nice little increase would be good. I'm not trying to shoot for beating lambos and stuff. I just want to ne faster off the line and just faster in general. I'm going to be moving to Dallas I'm July for school, does anyone know of any good places to install and maybe shoot me a custom tune for my Diablo once its all done
  7. nickpatton_189

im thinking about going turbo now, not too sure, but i do know i want to do something. would i be ok with my stock tranny? a while back i was having tranny trouble and this isnt the original tranny, i think its the 3rd maybe 4th tanny since i got the truck about a year or so ago. but the tranny was put in a while back and has been going good since, all the other ones were screwing up with in that same month so im sure this is a good one. but it is a stock tranny, as far as i know. and if i go pro charged and only run low boost like 4-6 ish, how much more hp and tq would i be looking at?
  8. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

After looking over ATI's site and a few of their vendors, it looks like you'd be safe with no other changes on their 7-8 or 8-9psi kits, with about a 55% hp increase. I don't know if you can save some $$ going with a lower PSI setup, or if you can even get one. So I have to somewhat recant my original response, as you likely won't need injectors, etc with this kit. However, the cheapest I've seen it listed is about $5k for the kit specifically for your truck. You could definitely do a heads/cam/intake upgrade, or turbo setup for cheaper, but it'd be more work and more narrow powerband with the turbo. For simple, bolt on performance (if you can afford it), looks like the ATI is the way to go
  9. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Your transmission will be your weakest link for sure.