procharger...

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 00chevy53, Dec 8, 2010.

1. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

just looking to see if anyone is running one on there truck and with what mods if any. im basicaly looking to get an idea of what people are actually putting to the ground, versus what the sites selling them claim.

2. mike23109

mike23109 New Member

I've got one on my 1970 Chevelle 383. It's a P1SC. I love it, but you have to make sure the bottom end can handle the boost. I'm running a forged rotating assembly, 8.5:1 compression, and 12 lbs of boost, with water injection. Obviously, a purpose built motor. I don't know the hp numbers n/a, since I built the engine with the ProCharger in mind. However, I'm putting down over 500 rwhp. Depending on what you currently have you may be able to get away with 4-6 lbs of boost and larger injectors. Does ProCharger make a kit for your application? If so, go with it. You won't be sorry. Milage sucks though. You won't be able to keep your foot out of it.

3. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I've looked into it, the price tag is what is keeping me at bay for the time being. I'm also looking at a rear-mount STS Turbo

4. 00chevy53

mike23109- yes they do make a kit for my truck it comes standard with the p1sc with the option to upgrade the charger but milage is somewhat of a consern at this point in time so i might end up going another route...

randomsandwich- i have talked to a few different shops about sts turbo systems and all have said they dont make as much power as a single turbo under the hood, my personal thing about there system is the intake being right next to the wheel making it more likely to suck in water. for the price they want for the full kit to tune it i would rather buy a twin turbo set up i found for 6300 with out the tune...

5. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Milage isn't bad, unless you're playing a lot. But as mike said, if you have the power you're more likely to play. That will be the case with any power adder like this. if you're cruising and driving it economically, you should get better mileage, or at least the same as current.

Turbo vs Super. Super is "instant on", turbo builds. so if you want a nice smooth powerband, with equal additive all the way through, go with a super. If you don't mind having less power in certain ranges, and more peaky power when adding, then go with turbo, and get one to spool over the rpm range you're looking to add power to.

6. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

X2 on what DualDJ1 said. In the end you can make alot more power with a turbo because of its ability to spin higher RPMS then a supercharger, but by that point you would need a fully built truck anyway. Also to consider is its use, as most people who use a truck as a truck will not be high reving all the time, and thats where you get most power from a turbo.

7. 00chevy53

well since most of my playing around happens on the highway starting at speeds around 70mph i think the turbo would be great... eventually this truck is just going to be a weekend warrior and taken out when i want to play

8. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just to clarify a little on JWCO's post... Most of the time turbos are used in the upper RPM range, but you can get them to spool up at whatever RPM range you want. Look at the turbo diesel's. Again with turbo's you're building power over a more set RPM range (2-4k, 2500-5k, etc), whereas super adds across the whole RPM range. As always look at your application. If you're never going to turn more than 5k rpm and you want to turbo, make sure your turbo hits max boost by 4k, 4500.

9. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you never go over 5k, you can get a turbo to hit full boost buy much lower. most likely 2500. Depends on size. The bigger the turbo, the longer it takes to build boost, and higher in the rpm range at full boost. I have had a couple of boosted cars, and the smaller turbo ones were much more streetable.

10. 00chevy53

well like i said im looking to build a highway truck, over all goal is to destroy corvettes.... but as far as turbo size if i go with twin turbos ill stay with something around 60-65mm and if i go single ill look at a 75mm...