1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Programmer Argument

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by jdennis44, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jdennis44

jdennis44 Rockstar 100 Posts

Me and my buddy were arguing the other day on which Programmer for gas engines is your best for the money! what do you guys think? what is every ones favorite programmer?
  2. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

My favorite is HPTuners. It is not a hand held programmer, but is software installed on a laptop. That and a chassis dyno will give you a really custom program that no hand held unit can provide.
  3. jdennis44

That does sound like a good set up. but how does the cost match up?
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

One thing I like about the Diablo's is you can data log with them and them get a custom tune via e-mail from a tuner like DiabLew.com. Yes its a bit pricey at first but you have the best of both worlds, the ability to get a custom tune and a programmer that you can use for diagnostics. The Diablo programmers have the best basic tunes and let you make more adjustments than any other programmer if you don't want a custom tune.
  5. jdennis44

that is what my argument was to him! Granted his is a ford owner he actually is pretty smart and he seems to think the SCT programmers are the top notch but i just dont think they have as many options as the Diablos do.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I don't know how true this is and I haven't been able to confirm it, but I was told that alot of the SCT guys are ex-employees of Diablo. Both companies are in Florida. I've been to Diablo's factory/shop and I was impressed. They make everything in house including there products packages/boxes.
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

diablewtune.com ..... not diablew.com ... ;)
  8. jdennis44

in that case the SCT may not be a terrible choice! He claims that is all everyone on his ford forum is talking about! But regardless of brand i have a ton of respect for any of them that are made here in the USA!!
  9. Craig Miller

Craig Miller New Member

+1 on the Diablo. Just bought mine last week. Put an Airaid modified intake tune, a Throttle Body Spacer, and for now the 87 octane setting on the Diablo. The forums, and the technical support almost have me thinking I almost know what I am doing. Getting it dialed in over the last couple of days put me up to 14.8 mpg, up from 11.2. My 6.0L with 4.10 gears is a gas hog, but I am almost able to live with it now.
  10. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

The dyno is $100 per hour. The HPTuner software costs depends on who is using it! The software costs about $1500 to $3000. I would not get this for myself, but my tuner is a Pro! He has over 15 years working for GM, and has tuned hot rods, road race cars, drag cars and trucks in the local area. His reputation is far beyond our local area, and has received mention in Hot Rod magazine. He charges $300 per session, and provides a file that you can have with all of your data. It is well worth it having an expert do it! I am planning on using this system again when I change my heads, cam, and blower pulley. He can tune for any situation: economy, low end torque, high horsepower, whatever is requested. So, you have to figure the costs yourself.