Programmer Chip Important Question

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by bobbyg35, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

Hi guys, I am new to the GMTruckClub forum so this question may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it by doing a search, so I am just going to ask again.

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3L V8 with a 6" RCD Lift and 35" BFG Mud Terrain tires. Its a beast off road, but what I need is something to give me a few more mpg. I drive back and forth to work 5 days a week in it and it's starting to pay a toll on my bank account.

I am willing to spend around $500 to buy a programmer chip that will increase my fuel economy as well as give me that extra horse power.

Please link me to a website that sells the product you are advising on (if you can) otherwise just give me the make and model of the product and a rough estimate of what it cost.

Thanks a lot guys, and if your in Oregon checkout my website www.oregonquading.com

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

there was a review done on here with one a little bit back. they custom tune three tunes and put it on a handheld and the price is not that expensive.

Its an SCT handheld and Heavy Chevy has one

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

Ok, well I got my Hypertech programmer in the mail today with overnighted shipping. I paid $329.00 total with the free overnight shipping included from AnythingAuto, that is a great website with great phone support.

Well to my review now...

I plugged it in to start the programming, immediately it said I need to update my programmer via the internet to get the latest data. So I took it upstairs and with a few plugs into a usb cable and a few clicks of the mouse, I was updated to the latest data specific to my truck.

I went back outside and plugged it in, it asks me to turn the ignition to the run position so I did. I went through the easy to use Hypertech menu where it asks me if I'd like to change many things such as the "regular/premium fuel setting" "shift points" "rear dif ration" "shifting firmness" So I went through and only changed a few things.

I change the fuel to "Premium" because I've tried to always run premium fuel in my truck when I can afford it. I also change the shifting firmness to 50%, and I change the tire setting to 35".

After that I had it run its programming 30 seconds later I was done! I had to turn the ignition off for 30 seconds than that it. I unplugged it and took the truck for a test drive. I immediately notices alot more pep in the throttle, my speedometer was finally accurate with these large tires, and I felt a noticeable difference in the shifting response. I love the programmer and I would recommend it to everyone who wants to gain some hp and increase their mpg.

Without actually putting it up on a DYNO I would think I am getting at least 20 - 25 more HP.

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good Post! Thanks for the review. Keep in mind now that you have changed the settings you must run premium fuel always or you could damage your engine.

6. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

****ty deal man. If I had saw this thread earlier, I would have offered my Hypertech for free. I don't have any use for it with my custom tune. Sorry man :( One word of caution though, leave your shift firmness to stock levels. The 4L60 tranny's are WEAK!!!!!!! That's my two cents as I went through a few of those transmissions, even beefed up ones.

7. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

Oh really? leaving the shift firmness to stock level is best.. I will have to go and modify that then. Let me ask you a question, what do you do with your programmer after you have programmed your truck to the perfect settings? Is it worth it to keep around, can I resell or rent it out or should I just return it?

8. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Programmers read your specific vin. Can't be used on another vehicle until the orginal vehicle vin is restored to factory default settings, then you can use it on another vehicle. So no resale value, and if they let you return it, you'll be stuck on whatever program settings you chose with no ability to make changes.

9. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

You need to keep it. If you bring it for a service and they return your ECU to stock programming, then you are hooped. Also, if that does happen, you would need to send it back to Hypertech to get the ability to use it again. They are only good for one program at a time.

10. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

Do you know if your hypertech would work on my 2008 5.3? If you had a free programmer I have a home for it..