1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

programmer or custom tune

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by Burden33, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

hey guys so since my programmer crapped out on me im in the market for a new programmer or custom tune and was wondering which way i should go and what are the pros and cons of each.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I chose DiabloSport because I could use stock tunes on the programmer until I was ready to do a custom tune. That would translate to some immediate improvement and also allow me to get more improvement from a custom tune, later.

I then engaged Lew (@06MonteSS on this forum) for a custom tune and saw results with which I'm very pleased. Lew's easy to work with and he also happens to be a DiabloSport reseller so if you find yourself interested in a DiabloSport programmer you might check with him to see if he's bundling a tune and a programmer.

Lew will also re-tune for free within the first year of getting a custom tune from him, which was a big deal to me since I knew I had a 4.56 gear change coming but it wasn't done when I got my custom tune. (I've since completed it and Lew's retuned for it.)
  3. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Thanks surreal for the info always good to hear your input im going to have a look at the diablo. im also liking the fact that you can use the tunes they got plus have a custom one and change it in the first year. ill have to look him up
  4. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I'm currently working withe Lew now on my custom tune. Went with his package deal of a programmer + custom tune. I've only had first hand experience with Diablo sport, but I've heard decent things about Edge programmers as well. Supposedly, their Edge Evolution CTS has the ability to change tunes on the fly (while drivin down the road). However, if you get the right custom tune I believe you wouldn't need that feature. The other main company I've heard of is Bully Dog, but alas I have no experience with them. I will say that I am incredibly happy with my programmer and tune from Lew! If yer lookin at $ signs, he does offer the inTune which is a couple hundred cheaper than the Trinity. Good hunting!
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I just purchased the inTune package from Lew. I installed the 87 octane more mpg program (I don't recall what the exact title is) and not only did I see an improvement in the mpg's but I noticed a bit of an improvement in the performance of the truck. I will be getting up with Lew soon to get a custom tune done.
  6. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Custom tune by far, i have EFI live, and i can notice a huge different from my hypertech program to my EFI live, and i'm just a novice tuner. I highly recommend going somewhere and getting the tune done. NOT a mail order tune.
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

well, hypertech isn't much to compare to anyway for starters, heh... and as far as "mail order" tunes go, it all depends on who's doing the tuning, and how they do it man...

custom tuning is available for diablosport's programmers by diablo CMR custom tuners, like myself... diablo's tuning software is like hptuners, efilive, etc....

I have people do several data logs for me throughout the tuning process, so I get real-world driving data from their vehicles, and make tune adjustments accordingly... so let's take it easy with the blanket statement you're throwing out there, heh... all mail-order tunes are not created equal... ;)

and Burden33 - please feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have man... I also offer package deals for the Diablosport inTune and Trinity programmers plus my custom tuning, so you'd save $$... ;-)
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012