Programmer Performance and User Friendly Questions

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by jtwade, May 16, 2012.

1. jtwade

jtwade New Member

I Have a 2009 Silverado LTZ 5.3 liter with AEM intake, flowmaster exaust, 6 1/2in lift and 35in Trail grapplers and want to get a programmer for it to gain some power back. Ive never owned one before so I whould like to know which one is user friendly. What would I be getting for increases/decreases.

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, what I can tell you is I have the Edge CS programmer and I love it, probably the best thing I have done to my truck. What it will do for you is really up to you as it has 4 settings for mileage, towing and performance. It is user friendly, gives your trouble codes with the definition you can adjust your speedometer for tire size changes and much more. They also offer a pod to mount it to your dash to give you that factory look. Oh and the customer service is as good as it can be. Great product IMO. :glasses:

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

You might consider a programmer that will let you do a custom tune. I chose the Diablosport Predator for that reason. For your truck (2009) I'd choose the DiabloSport InTune (the replacement for the Predator ... which is only presently available for the 07 and later models). You get the same kinds of tuning capabilities as with Edge ... but you can ALSO engage custom tuners (like @06MonteSS, aka Diablew, aka Lew) on this site (or others) to provide a tune that is specific to your truck. The custom tuner will tell you how to go about this should you engage one.

Stock tunes from handheld programmers certainly get you improvements ... but every truck is a bit different and the only way to get the most out of a tune is to get one that's specific to your truck.

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

********Thread Moved***********

5. jtwade

jtwade New Member

Thanks for the info. i have been reading alot of threads and have discovered i need to regear also. i know nothing about this so 4.10 seems to be what people are saying. I will be towing a camper once a month so i want the best for both towing and not towing MPG. Also are the front and rear gears the same.​

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Front and rear gears have to be the same ratio. The front gear is a 8.25" gear, the rear is either a 8.6" or 9.5"

7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Either 4.10 or 4.56 should get you what you need. There's quite a bit of information on this forum and elsewhere about the gear ratios. Changing the gears will get some of your power back that you lost when getting the lift and bigger tires. Just be sure to do a little research and decide which gear ratio you want. It's not something you want to have to do again.

Check out this page: http://www.4x4offroads.com/gear-ratio-chart.html

8. jtwade

jtwade New Member

I think ill go with 410 i hope it will pull a 6000 lb camper
    TRUCK 1.jpg

9. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Yes, I can definitely get you hooked up!

for your truck, the Diablosport Trinity is really what you'd want...

the Trinity has the tcm/tranny support and the tranny changes are nice. quicker, firmer shifts, you can adjust the shift points, firmness, etc.. it has much better data logging... has a windshield mount (like a gps), a bigger, color touch screen so it's easier to go through while it's mounted... you can watch/view the data without having to hold it, since it's mounted to the windshield... there's also an available gauge pod mount adapter for it, so if you have a gauge pod like on your a-pillar, you could mount it right in there with the pod mount... the Trinity will also get an update in the future that will allow you tune more than one vehicle at a time with it...

But, the inTune will also work for your truck, and will be getting an update for it in the near future that will let you change/adjust tcm/tranny parameters as well... but right now, the inTune does not have tcm/tranny support.

as for the difference between the two... I actually have both the inTune and Trinity for my car... engine tune wise, the tunes are the same. but, the Trinity has the tcm/tranny support and the tranny changes are nice. quicker, firmer shifts, you can adjust the shift points, firmness, etc.. the inTune does not have tcm/tranny support yet - but it is supposed to be getting an update in the near future that will add it. I also like the Trinity better for data logging - the logging is better, and since it has a windshield mount (like a gps), a bigger, color screen, so it's easier to go through while it's mounted... you can watch/view the data without having to hold it, since it's mounted to the windshield... there's also an available gauge pod mount adapter for it, so if you have a gauge pod like on your a-pillar, you could mount it right in there with the pod mount... the inTune does not have a mount, so you have to hold it or put it on the seat next to you, it's a little harder to figure out and find where the parameters are to log, etc... the Trinity will also get an update in the future that will allow you tune more than one vehicle at a time with it... again, these are MY personal preferences... other people like the smaller intune better (it's the size of a credit card), and having to hold it or lay it on the seat may be no big deal to them... but for me, for my own personal preferences, I like the Trinity better...

So really, it's up to you :)

I sell both the inTune and Trinity programmers, and I also offer a package deal for them that includes my custom tuning at a reduced rate, so you'd save money. Here's info:

inTune:
    http://www.diablewtune.com/intune_deal.html

Trinity:
    http://www.diablewtune.com/package_deal.html

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc... and sometimes, maybe even a little better gas mileage - if you can keep your foot out of it! hahaha...

and I can usually have the initial custom tune done and sent back to you within 24 - 48 hours from the time that I receive everything.

Here's info about my custom tuning:

http://www.diablewtune.com/

there are links on there to all the info and programs you'll need - i.e. what tune files I need, how to export/import tune files, my paypal info, etc etc...

as well as a link to just a small sample of just some of the "Testimonials" I've received from people I've done my tunes for - makes for good reading, hehe.

once I get the initial custom tune done and sent back to you and you install it, then you'll need to put on about 100 miles over a few days of normal driving, and then I'll have you do a data log for me so I can check the fueling/timing and do some fine-tuning adjustments...

Thanks for asking man!!

10. DiabloMike

DiabloMike New Member

Thanks for pointing the OP in the right direction!

I just want to add that all GM gas applications are now supported in the inTune, so that's all 99-current 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2/8.1 powered trucks and SUVs. (Also, C5, F-body, etc). Also all 01-10 Duramax applications are supported in inTune now as well!

Thanks