1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Programmer Recommendations 2007 Silverado Classic 5.3

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kcox15, Dec 6, 2012.

1. kcox15

kcox15 New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado Classic 5.3L V8. Im new to this whole truck thing and was thinking about getting a programmer. A friend of mine recommended the Hypertec Max Energy Programmer as well as the Hyperpac. The list of possibilities goes on and on. Does anyone have any recommendations that would work well with my truck that are in a decent price range?

Also I should mention that I put a 2.5in lift in the front a 1in rear as well as Toyo All-Terains (285/70/17). I also put in skyjacker nitro8000 shocks all around. Not sure if those specs make a difference in what I should get.

Thank again
    Kenny
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Diablosport InTune and a custom tune from a tuner ... so that you get the absolute most out of the handheld device. [MENTION=32828]06MonteSS[/MENTION] on this site does custom tunes and also bundles his tunes with Diablosport products. PM him if you have questions. I'm running one of his tunes on my truck, have been for the better part of a year, and am an extremely satisfied customer.
  3. kcox15

kcox15 New Member

how much do they generally run?
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I've had good experiences with the Hypertech Max Energy tuners. The Hypertechs also allow you to adjust the top speed, choose differential gear ratios, select transmission shift firmness, tire size adjustment, premium or regular unleaded tune, AFM on/off. The Hypertech for your truck is #32501. They can be had on ebay for $300.

From what I have read the Diablo tuner gives you the ability to adjust other settings as well.
  5. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member

the diablosport inTune itself is $390... with my custom tuning, I bundle it for $485... the diablosport Trinity itself is $600 - with the custom tune bundle it's $685 (if you're in the U.S.)

both of them will work for your truck...

the other programmers/handhelds mentioned, you can not get custom tuning done for them, so you would be stuck with whatever tunes they gave you on them... plus the diablosport programmers have the most end-user adjustability of any others, as well as complete data logging of many more parameters than others do...

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc... and sometimes, maybe even a little better gas mileage - if you can keep your foot out of it! hahaha...

as far as gains go... absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, how much highway vs city driving, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play...

with the custom tune, I CAN tell you that you will definitely have a very noticable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

I have gained people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque...and 0 to 3 mpg - above and beyond what the preset canned tunes give you... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...

I sell both the inTune and Trinity programmers, and I also offer a package deal as well that includes my custom tuning at a reduced cost so you'd save some $$. ;)

inTune deal: http://intune.diablewtune.com

Trinity deal: http://trinity.diablewtune.com

as for the difference between the two... I actually have both the inTune and Trinity for my car... tune wise, the tunes are the same. and of course, my custom tune would be the same as well... the trinity has a few more features, including a performance monitor for 0-60, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times, etc... bigger color touch screen... graphic gauges for monitoring data... and I like the Trinity better for data logging - the logging is better, and since it has a windshield mount (like a gps), a bigger, color screen, so it's easier to go through while it's mounted... you can watch/view the data without having to hold it, since it's mounted to the windshield... there's also an available gauge pod mount adapter for it, so if you have a gauge pod like on your a-pillar, you could mount it right in there with the pod mount... the inTune does not have a mount, so you have to hold it or put it on the seat next to you - kind of defeats the purpose if you want to watch some data while recording it - you'd have to hold on to it and hold it up in front of your face while driving haha, it's a little harder to figure out and find where the parameters are to log and select/deselect, etc... the Trinity will also get an update in the future that will allow you tune more than one vehicle at a time with it... again, these are MY personal preferences... other people like the smaller intune better (it's the size of a credit card), and having to hold it or lay it on the seat may be no big deal to them... but for me, for my own personal preferences, I like the Trinity better...

So really, it's up to you which one you'd want... if you don't want/need the extra features/bell-n-whistles, then you can go with the inTune - and it's less expensive...

here are links to their user manuals so you can check them both out:

Trinity user manual: http://diablosport.com/manualFiles/Trinity/Trinity_Comp_User_Manual.pdf

inTune user manual: http://diablosport.com/manualFiles/inTune_Comp_User_Manual.pdf

Thanks for asking man, I appreciate it!!

-Lew
  6. kcox15

kcox15 New Member

Ok I will definitely be in contact with the next month or so. But I would like a little bit more information. For the custom tune what information about my truck would I have to send you?
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member

for the initial tune, I'd just need the year, model, engine, and list of any mods you've done to it...

ok, here's the process:

You'd purchase one of the package deals... I receive the order and payment... I submit the order to my supplier and the programmer ships from them directly to you - if I receive the order before 4pm Eastern Time, it would ship out the same day and you would usually receive it in a couple/few days - depending on where you live, heh.

You receive the tool... the first thing you would need to do is register it and update it to all of the latest updates... You do need to have a Windows PC in order to run diablo's software apps that are needed...since diablosport's auto-update and registration app is all Windows-only software - so if you don't have access to a Windows PC or laptop, my suggestion would be to run bootcamp or parallels desktop on your mac so that you can run Windows.

so, you'd get the tool registered and all updated to the latest updates (could take a little while)... once all the updates are done and complete, then you are ready to connect it to your car and select one of the preset tunes - either the 87 Octane Tune (if you use good 87 or 89 octane gas) or the Diablo Tune (if you use good 91 octane gas or higher)... and then select Install Tune...

the tool will first save the copies of your original backup stock tune files in itself, and then it will continue and install the performance tunes you selected.

once the install is done, then you're good to go with the preset tune.

then, you'd connect the tool back up to your computer... get copies of the original backup and last tune written files copied from the programmer to your PC, then you email me the tune files, with your vehicle info - year, model, engine, any mods done to it, etc... I create you a custom tune file and then email it back to you...

you import the custom tune file into the tool... then connect the tool to your truck and select the custom tune to install, then install the tune...

you drive however you normally do for a couple/few days until you've put on at least about 150 miles so that the fuel trims and such have been relearned by the ECM and have settled in.. then you are ready to record a steady driving data log for me...

you do that, then send me the log file... I make fine-tuning adjustments to the custom tune, and make you an updated custom tune file, send it to you, you import it to the tool, install to the vehicle, put on the miles, get me a new steady driving data log, send it to me to check, I make adjustments if needed, send you updated tune file, you import it to the tool, install to the vehicle etc etc... and once the part-throttle normal driving stuff is all dialed in and looks like it should, then we move on to the WOT fun! haha.. I have you do a WOT data log for me, I go through it, make any needed adjustments to WOT fueling/timing, send you an updated tune, you install it.. get me a new WOT data log to check, etc... once everything all looks good, you're good to go.

so that's the scoop... ;)