Project for my son and I, VW Bug

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by HI-TORQ, Mar 27, 2008.

1. HI-TORQ

HI-TORQ New Member

Howdy. Nic and I bought his first car to start working on. It should be lots of fun and work.

who has an extra VW engine? anyone? anyone?

Attached Files:

2. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

What size are you looking for. I have alot of connections, and even a guy that can get a really good deal on crate blocks for the old aircooleds. Does it have a motor in it right now, or is it just a shell?

Josh

3. HI-TORQ

HI-TORQ New Member

Howdy. No engine. We'd like to spend about $600-800. I mean since it's so much work to swap one, we might as well do it right. (can you detect my sarcasm?)

4. HI-TORQ

HI-TORQ New Member

Thanks for the interest.

5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can buy a Porsche engine from an old 911 that will give it a giddy up en go :great:

6. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

A 912 motor would be easy to install. Look around for a wrecked bug with a recent rebuild.

7. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

friend of mine had a 74 with a 911 motor and it was pretty quick for a bug and when he got on it he could lift the front end. nice little project. have fun.

8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i like the porsche idea :great:

9. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

I used to be able to carry my front end about half a block with a little 1700CC superbeetle. Those engines can make pretty absurd power, and REALLY cheap, the trick is just to keep them cool. I will ask Dubsquared what his crates run, but I would assume they wouldn't be too much out of your priceragne for a 1450 or so.

Since this is your sons first car, are you wanting it to be fairly pedestrian, or are you guys going to build a freak out of it? The reason I ask is that it makes a lot of difference is what block I would recommend. Some of them are able to build alot more power without having to swap internals, some are more reliable, but won't handle big numbers.

10. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

how bout stuffing a 350 in it? :gasp: