1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Project for my son and I, VW Bug

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by HI-TORQ, Mar 27, 2008.

1. HI-TORQ

HI-TORQ New Member

Howdy. Nic and I bought his first car to start working on. It should be lots of fun and work.

who has an extra VW engine? anyone? anyone?

Attached Files:

2. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

What size are you looking for. I have alot of connections, and even a guy that can get a really good deal on crate blocks for the old aircooleds. Does it have a motor in it right now, or is it just a shell?

Josh

3. HI-TORQ

HI-TORQ New Member

Howdy. No engine. We'd like to spend about $600-800. I mean since it's so much work to swap one, we might as well do it right. (can you detect my sarcasm?)

4. HI-TORQ

HI-TORQ New Member

Thanks for the interest.

5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can buy a Porsche engine from an old 911 that will give it a giddy up en go :great:

6. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

A 912 motor would be easy to install. Look around for a wrecked bug with a recent rebuild.

7. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

friend of mine had a 74 with a 911 motor and it was pretty quick for a bug and when he got on it he could lift the front end. nice little project. have fun.

8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i like the porsche idea :great:

9. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

I used to be able to carry my front end about half a block with a little 1700CC superbeetle. Those engines can make pretty absurd power, and REALLY cheap, the trick is just to keep them cool. I will ask Dubsquared what his crates run, but I would assume they wouldn't be too much out of your priceragne for a 1450 or so.

Since this is your sons first car, are you wanting it to be fairly pedestrian, or are you guys going to build a freak out of it? The reason I ask is that it makes a lot of difference is what block I would recommend. Some of them are able to build alot more power without having to swap internals, some are more reliable, but won't handle big numbers.

10. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

how bout stuffing a 350 in it? :gasp: