1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Projector headlights? Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Chad513, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Chad513

Chad513 New Member 100 Posts

I have HIDs in my truck with the stock headlights. They are pretty bright but I've had some people tell me that if I put projector headlights in they will be brighter. Some of the cars that roll around my town have projectors but their HIDs look ****ty. Does anyone have HIDs with the projector lights? Do they look good? Does it make the light brighter and shine farther? Thanks.
    -Chad
  2. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't have projector headlights but I've toyed with the idea from time to time. After doing some research and talking to people who have them, I've come to the general conclusion that when comparing the light output of projector headlights with that of the stock headlights (also equipped with HIDs), there is a tradeoff that needs to be understood. Projector lights throw a more concentrated beam of light (thus, appearing brighter). The downside to this is that the beam isn't as wide as normal headlights. Since stock headlights have a larger 'reflecting cone' (?), a wider beam is thrown that allows better lighting at the vehicle's peripherals. Projector headlights, however, project the light more like a flashlight does... straight forward with less overall coverage. For this reason, the same light output may look less bright with standard headlights.

In conclusion, it's entirely up to you. Sometimes I really like the look of projector headlights but I'm not all that opposed to the stock look. Furthermore, I would certainly prefer to have good light coverage when I'm on the highway (or small state/county roads) at night.
  3. Chad513

If I got the OEM looking black lights would it take some of my visibilty away. It has black sides instead of the chrome look so it gives it a cooler look. i like it but im scared its gonna make my lights look bad.
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've considered changing my headlights for a while but I haven't seen any that look any better than stock for my year truck ('05) and I don't like the concentrated beam of projectors so I just run Nokya stage II halogen bulbs in the stock headlight assembly. The Nokya's are very bright without the hassles of ballasts, I have people ask all the time if I have HID'S. I also run Hi-beam bulbs (9005) in my fogs which really light up the road. I think changing headlight assemblies would be a step backwards in looks and performance for me.
  5. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 New Member

theres no tradeoff, hid lights in stock housings is stupid and illegal and is dangerous to oncoming traffic
    those hid kits should only be installed with projector lights so they can be aimed properly towards the ground with no scatter beam
  6. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hmm. Well thanks for your input but I don't think anyone was talking about legality here. It's a good thing, too, since everyone who has posted thus far is from a different state and laws vary widely from state to state. That's all not even to mention the fact that it appears to me that you're from a completely different country.

On the note of legality, though (since it was so courteously mentioned by jordan), it goes without saying that any automotive modification that is the slightest bit questionable should be clarified by an appropriate representative of your state or country.

Thanks,
    Vince
  7. Chad513

Jordan - thanks for the input but I didnt question the legality of them. I was wondering which were brighter. I have passed plenty of cops in my town and have never been pulled over, only looked at cause my truck is beast.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There are many Co's that make Projector lights. Like Anzo,IPCW,DEPO and others.. Some have Halo's some have differant len's. Most will give you a bright THIN beam that can be aimed but will not have the wide beam output of a factory light. Some you can add HID's to for the brightest light possable but some you can't..Do your checking... I am going with Anzo with the brightest CCFL Halos out there.... Check this out... http://www.anzousa.com/pages/products.html
  9. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

That's sweet w/ the hi-beams in the fog lights, it has got to be amazingly bright.
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It is for me, I don't get flashed very often since the fogs are aimed lower. You should try them, it's plug and play.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011