1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Propane Conversion

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by TrippleB, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TrippleB

TrippleB New Member

Hi all..... I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to convert their engines to a propane/gas hybrid?
    I have been looking at the possibility of doing this what with the sky high gas price, but I would still like to keep the option of going back to gasoline if I need the power. Anyone have any comments or ideas on this one???

Thanks
    3XB

2001 Sierra with a 4.8L V8
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yep, I've had two full propane burners and two Diesels with propane injection. I've also installed propane kits in a few other trucks.
    Theres a wealth of knowledge on the web to be had by just googling "Propane power" or "Propane".
    This shop has supplied 90% of the parts I've used for my propane conversions: http://www.gotpropane.com/
  3. TrippleB

TrippleB New Member

Re:

Thanks for the info. I have gone to that website but they only convert carb engines, do you know if it can be done to a fuel injected 4.8L?

3XB
  4. John W

John W New Member

As a mechanic I have found that propane is hard on valves. I'm sure I worked on at least six rigs with badly burned valves. And I mean burned and warped.
  5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a LPI propane injection the brand is Tartarini (I know Italian:neutral:) The engine always start on gasoline and drives on gasoline for the first Mile and then it switches to propane this is a good thing for the valves.The LPI computer communicates with the vehicle computer for better emissions.:great:
  6. TrippleB

TrippleB New Member

Where did you obtain that conversion kit if you don't mind me asking?

3XB
  7. Davandy

Davandy Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Where are you from?
    I just went to a shop that sells LPI installations there are several brands BRC, TARTARINI, PRINS but they are all European brands :neutral:
  8. sheep

sheep New Member

probably due to the fact of the oil companys in the US have too big of a hold ont he market which is why gas keeps going up and up and UP and UP
  9. RatRod

RatRod New Member

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Anyone else tried this or thought about this? I know a lot of folks are searching for this type of content.