Propane Conversion

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by TrippleB, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TrippleB

TrippleB New Member

Hi all..... I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to convert their engines to a propane/gas hybrid?
    I have been looking at the possibility of doing this what with the sky high gas price, but I would still like to keep the option of going back to gasoline if I need the power. Anyone have any comments or ideas on this one???

Thanks
    3XB

2001 Sierra with a 4.8L V8

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep, I've had two full propane burners and two Diesels with propane injection. I've also installed propane kits in a few other trucks.
    Theres a wealth of knowledge on the web to be had by just googling "Propane power" or "Propane".
    This shop has supplied 90% of the parts I've used for my propane conversions: http://www.gotpropane.com/

3. TrippleB

TrippleB New Member

Re:

Thanks for the info. I have gone to that website but they only convert carb engines, do you know if it can be done to a fuel injected 4.8L?

3XB

4. John W

John W Rockstar 100 Posts

As a mechanic I have found that propane is hard on valves. I'm sure I worked on at least six rigs with badly burned valves. And I mean burned and warped.

5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a LPI propane injection the brand is Tartarini (I know Italian:neutral:) The engine always start on gasoline and drives on gasoline for the first Mile and then it switches to propane this is a good thing for the valves.The LPI computer communicates with the vehicle computer for better emissions.:great:

6. TrippleB

TrippleB New Member

Where did you obtain that conversion kit if you don't mind me asking?

3XB

7. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Where are you from?
    I just went to a shop that sells LPI installations there are several brands BRC, TARTARINI, PRINS but they are all European brands :neutral:

8. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

probably due to the fact of the oil companys in the US have too big of a hold ont he market which is why gas keeps going up and up and UP and UP

9. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Anyone else tried this or thought about this? I know a lot of folks are searching for this type of content.