propane tanks for a 93 suburban k2500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by nutpants, Nov 17, 2009.

1. nutpants

nutpants New Member

i have been trying to source out propane tanks for a 93 suburban k2500.
    i have the truck with the propane system in it but no tanks.
    i think it used to have a tank behind the seats (but it was gone when i bought the truck)
    but i would prefer to have the tanks frame mounted
    but not so low that i could not take the truck off road.
    and i want to keep the truck dual fuel gas and propane.

anyone have a suburban on propane that you can post pics of tank placement and tank dimensions?

thanks.

nutz

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would check with laws before you go and do the frame mounted tanks. If something happened, like an accident, regardless of fault you could have some serious lawsuits against you.

3. bricssig73

bricssig73 New Member

propane tanks for a 93 suburban k2500

It doesnt matter if its Weber or not. All tanks made since 1995 have the check valve.

4. DutchSuburban

DutchSuburban New Member

A LPG Tank (propane) is more safer than a regularize gas tank and it’s having a safety valves.

This pictures gives you an idea how mine LPG setup is it’s on a Suburban 454cui Th400 ’79 with a new LPG IMPCO 300A Mixer 180Ltr tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With this setup i can switch while i driving to LPG or normal gas.
    You can see on the last picture next to the vaporizer the electric valve thats shutdown the gas flow while it's running on LPG.

On normal gas it's runs on 1Ltr 4-5Km on LPG 1Ltr to 2,5Km but Normal gas cost 1,40Euro/Ltr and LPG 0,50Euro/Ltr so it's still cheaper to run on LPG.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If only LPG conversions were cheap and available in the US... Not to mention finding people to fill the LPG tank.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes LPG is safer if properly vented to the atmosphere, unfortunately in the U.S. each state has different regulations on fuel tank mounting that normally dont diferentiate between Gasoline or LPG and most states wouldnt allow any fuel tank to be mounted inside of the cab of the vehicle unless it had a steel fire barrier that totally blocked vapors or fire from entering the cabin.
    The setup you have there would be a big no no being the covers made from carpet covered plywood.

7. bucklti

bucklti New Member

I have a frame mounted propane tank on my 89. I bought the truck with everything done by the previous owner. I snapped some pics.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/bucklti/IMG_1486.jpg
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/bucklti/IMG_1485.jpg
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/bucklti/IMG_1484.jpg
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/bucklti/IMG_1483.jpg

It says 17 gallons on the tank, but im not sure. Haven't filled it up yet. It spans from the transmission crossmember to the rear leaf attachment with just the two frame mounts. I know, it looks like a torpedo.

8. DutchSuburban

DutchSuburban New Member

If you have a car 4x2 or let’s say a car on normal height then it’s very difficult to mount a propane cylinder/tank under the car or it’s gone be a small tank.
    (That’s the only reason for me to get it inside the car a propane tank)
    If you have a 4x4 or a body lifted truck than it’s a lot easier to mounted a propane tank under the car.
    What some guy’s do over here in Holland is they get rid of everything what guts to do with gas
    Even the fuel tank, en on that space where shut be the fuel tank they mount there the propane tank, or tanks.
    En build a 30Ltr (8Galons) fuel tank some ware else and that’s only for if you run out of propane the you can drive on gas to the next petrol station.