1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pros and Cons of a Spindle Lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by dgifford, Jan 6, 2011.

1. dgifford

dgifford New Member

like to know the negatives/ if any of having a spindle lift?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Spindle lifts are good because they don't stiffen the ride, don't have to change shocks ( most trucks) and there easy to install. Can't think of any negatives.
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

I gotta agree with STB. There aren't any negatives that I can think of...except that nobody makes a spindle lift for my truck:grrrrrr: or a dropped pitman arm...
  4. dgifford

dgifford New Member

ive heard that it makes your turn radius worse is that true?
  5. stephan

I can't think of any reason why it would. The spindles are still at the same 180 degree angle (minus proper toe in) & as long as you didn't mis-adjust the steering stops the turning radius would remain the same. That's a great avatar DG.
  6. dgifford

dgifford New Member

thanx stephan
  7. laxdogg24

laxdogg24 New Member

it reduces your turning radius but its the tires that are the cause of this. A spindle lift with stock tires wouldnt change the angle but as soon as you throw bigger rims and tires on to go with the lift your radius will decrease. I rub so bad on my truck
  8. stephan

It's not bigger wheels & tires, it's "wider" wheels & tires that will cause an increased turning radius, but they will do this whether a vehicle has a spindle lift or not
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

when I was looking for a lift on my truck superlift made a bracket lift and a knuckle kit. the knuckle kit will increase trac width usually about 2 inches. pushes the front tires out wider. If youve been behind a lifted truck and notice the front wheels seem to be sticking out further than the front its because they are wilth knuckle lifts. that was a negative in my book.

Ok just checked and you have a 2wd but I think its the same thing.

superlift doesnt show a 2wd kit but this is them talking their bracket lift vs a knuckle kit.

"When new knuckles are used, design limitations requires tire track width (measurement from outside of tire-to-outside of tire) to be substantially increased... close to a 3" increase with some competitor’s lifts! Additionally, most of these vehicles come from the factory with 2" more track width on the front axle than the rear, which can result in a front-to-rear track width increase of almost 5"! Problems associated with increased front track width are: reduced tire-to-fender clearance when turning, uncovered front tires slinging whatever you drive through onto your vehicle body and the obviously "odd" look"
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011