Pros and Cons of a Spindle Lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by dgifford, Jan 6, 2011.

1. dgifford

dgifford New Member

like to know the negatives/ if any of having a spindle lift?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Spindle lifts are good because they don't stiffen the ride, don't have to change shocks ( most trucks) and there easy to install. Can't think of any negatives.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I gotta agree with STB. There aren't any negatives that I can think of...except that nobody makes a spindle lift for my truck:grrrrrr: or a dropped pitman arm...

4. dgifford

dgifford New Member

ive heard that it makes your turn radius worse is that true?

5. stephan

I can't think of any reason why it would. The spindles are still at the same 180 degree angle (minus proper toe in) & as long as you didn't mis-adjust the steering stops the turning radius would remain the same. That's a great avatar DG.

6. dgifford

dgifford New Member

thanx stephan

7. laxdogg24

laxdogg24 New Member

it reduces your turning radius but its the tires that are the cause of this. A spindle lift with stock tires wouldnt change the angle but as soon as you throw bigger rims and tires on to go with the lift your radius will decrease. I rub so bad on my truck

8. stephan

It's not bigger wheels & tires, it's "wider" wheels & tires that will cause an increased turning radius, but they will do this whether a vehicle has a spindle lift or not

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

when I was looking for a lift on my truck superlift made a bracket lift and a knuckle kit. the knuckle kit will increase trac width usually about 2 inches. pushes the front tires out wider. If youve been behind a lifted truck and notice the front wheels seem to be sticking out further than the front its because they are wilth knuckle lifts. that was a negative in my book.

Ok just checked and you have a 2wd but I think its the same thing.

superlift doesnt show a 2wd kit but this is them talking their bracket lift vs a knuckle kit.

"When new knuckles are used, design limitations requires tire track width (measurement from outside of tire-to-outside of tire) to be substantially increased... close to a 3" increase with some competitor’s lifts! Additionally, most of these vehicles come from the factory with 2" more track width on the front axle than the rear, which can result in a front-to-rear track width increase of almost 5"! Problems associated with increased front track width are: reduced tire-to-fender clearance when turning, uncovered front tires slinging whatever you drive through onto your vehicle body and the obviously "odd" look"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011