1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pros and cons of leaf spring helpers

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by cchas14, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cchas14

cchas14 Member

Please I need to get some insite on the best and worst spring helpers. I am looking at the bolt on type for my 1991 V1500 1/2 ton. It has been suggested that my original springs are sagging and I can not afford a new set right now.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

are you referring to air bags or add-a-leafs, or something else? An add-a-leaf would probably be your easiest and cheapest method to reduce the sagging. Essentially what you are doing is dissasembling the leaf pack and adding another leaf in. Hope this helps
  3. cchas14

cchas14 Member

No, no air bags.....Just bolt on helpers/add-a-leaf.....I am hoping that I can use one that will not require me to un-bolt the rear axle from the leaf. I found one from Superior that bolts to the bottom back half of the leaf. The problem I am finding is that this paticular one is rated for a light truck. I do not see my 1/2 ton 4X4 as a light truck.
  4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Only real negative with add a leaf is that unloaded ride quality will normally suffer. Harsher ride, maybe some rear axle hop on uneven surfaces, etc.

Check out activesuspension.com. I had 'em on my old Tahoe. No negative side effects, improved handling, and even easier to install.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Fabtech has a decent AAL. Usually 4Wheelparts wholesale has the best price for Fabtech parts.
  6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i would say look for an add-a-leaf too. and our trucks are considered "light" trucks
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I put an Add-a-leaf on my 87 Blazer because of saggy springs. Inexpensive fix for sure!