1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Proud Dad/Son's First Truck

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by USAF-Suburban, Mar 7, 2014.

1. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Well, just bought my boy his first truck. It's a 1994 Dodge Dakota Sport, 3.9L with 5sp manual. I know, I know, it's not a Chevy which is what I would have preferred but we got a heck of a deal and it's a darn good starter truck. He's having a rough time mastering the stick but progressing pretty well. I figured if anyone would appreciate my excitement, it's you guys and gals. Here's a couple pics... Greg DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0024.jpg DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0020.jpg
  2. zuki82

zuki82 New Member

Great starter truck!! I had a Dakota, awesome little truck! Take note of this!!!!! There is a red and white wire that goes into the fuse box on the drivers side fender! It has a fusable link in it, about a foot before it gets too the box, when that link blows, you will lose fuel pump AND spark! When mine went out, I put a $1.50, blade style, fusable link back in. When the neighbors went out, he just cut it out and spliced the wires back together!
    I bought Dakota for $300. bucks because they didn't know about the fuse, but I also had to replace the distributor they broke cuase they had a mental melt down when they couldn't fix the truck!
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Looks like the perfect starter truck.
    Looks clean and unmolested, makes it much easier to mod as he gets to know it.
  4. 95_5spd

95_5spd Member

^^KISS fan!! :great:

Great first truck indeed! I was looking at Dakotas before i settled for an S10. Any plans for it yet?
  5. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Thanks for the info! I haven't owned a Dodge in well over 2 decades so I do not know the little tricks and tips that can save a ton money like this one...

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing firm yet but much like any 17 year old boy (or any dude for that matter) he has big plans... He's talking new tires, new stereo, etc... I told him our goal right now is to keep it running and keep it safe.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Nothing firm yet but much like any 17 year old boy (or any dude for that matter) he has big plans... He's talking new tires, new stereo, etc... I told him our goal right now is to keep it running and keep it safe.

Ahhh dad wheres the fun in that?
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That's a good looking truck actually for a 1994. At least your kid is into trucks and not mopeds or something. Lok
  8. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

There's fun to be had, just not to the extent or level that he would prefer at this point :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank goodness too. He likes trucks, country music and girls. To top it all off, he's a good kid so, I'm a happy camper.
  9. yotchie

yotchie Member

i know im an echo in the convo but good starter truck. have had a few friends that have had them and almost had one myself. they are a good little truck. and stick shift is way more fun to drive. the best thing about a starter truck, you can do what you want to it no worries about losing warranty. your imagination is the limit as your not restricted by payments lol. good to hear there is another truck guy. hopefully when the first one has had its time he will move on to chevy :glasses: