PSA: for those looking to do color-matched bowties.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by McClintoc, Mar 1, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I recently ordered a new grille for my truck. Still waiting on it to show up... It does not come with a bowtie but of course has a place for one. So, I also ordered a solid aluminum bowtie to put in the grille. Anyway, I decided I'd like to color-match my front bowtie during this exterior upgrade.

I ordered a vinyl wrap from here: http://www.webxtremes.com/chevybowtiewrapdecals.htm

The problem is, they don't really have any good pics of their bowtie wraps so I wasn't sure exactly what I was getting. What I wanted was a full wrap so I could completely cover the edges of my new bowtie and wrap the vinyl around to the back to protect it better. I just have this fear that the edges of a sticker that only covers the face of the bowtie would start to peel away after a while. Therefore, I decided to buy one of each to be safe. In the fourth drop-down menu, I selected one [Grille] and one [11.165" x 4.81"] - after measuring my grille emblem, of course. Based on what I wanted, the "wrap" was the correct choice but again, with out any photos on the site, I just wasn't sure what they meant by "grille".

Since my order showed up, I thought I'd share what each one looks like so others will know what to buy if they care to color-match their bowties. In the pic below, my new bowtie is sitting on the 11.165x4.81" wrap and the "grille" option is below it.

[​IMG]

2. GSPKurt

GSPKurt Rockstar

So, the wrap is just a sheet that you get to aggravate yourself with trying to install it?

McClintoc likes this.
  3. McClintoc

YES! It was a bit aggravating to put on the bowtie. In fact, the first time around, I didn't like how it turned out so I removed it, order another wrap and did it again.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow. Seems like they should have prepared people better for that.

5. Alizabeth

Alizabeth New Member GMTC Chick

I did this the first time, then after trial and error....I ordered a 12x12 sheet of vinyl and did all my own cutting. :0) Headache is an understatement, but it's been holding up great!

Thanks actually showing the difference though, that really would've helped me. I'm a see-it kinda person.

GSPKurt likes this.
  6. Aztecking

Aztecking New Member

Can you get the OEM color in a spray can at an auto parts store or automotive paint supplier?

7. Chesters

Chesters Well-Known Member 1 Year ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Sure u can, take your VIN # over to your nearest ORIELY'S and they will fix you right up.

GSPKurt likes this.
  8. McClintoc

I never looked for the OEM paint but I might have to do that. I am not happy with vinyl wrap. It looks crappy close up and the color doesn't match.

9. Chesters

Chesters Well-Known Member 1 Year ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Just call when you're parts stores and ask them if they mix paint in rattle cans from your Vin number. I do know O'Reillys does that.