1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Puddle Under Tailpipe

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Dion, Mar 14, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Dion

Dion New Member

Hi,

I just did a re-seal of my lower intake manifold (2000 Chev Silv 4.3L) and the leak is gone, engine's running smooth and it seems to have been a win. My issue is, I now see puddles of water because of increaseed condensation at the tail pipe. There is no white smoke or coolant smell at the pipe or anywhere else for that matter. The puddle worries me because it has not done this since I've owned it, 4 years now. Should I be worried? I have noticed the same thing happening with new vehicles.
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

An engine produces a lot of water vapour, especially when its cold......Once the engine warms up and the exhaust pipes warm up, its still producing water, but you dont see it. When its hot, its a gas.
  3. Dion

Dion New Member

Thanks, I didn't think it was a problem but it just hasn't produced so much before. Belt tensioner and exhaust manifold gaskets are next.

A quick question; I bought the truck with after market "air aid" cold air intake and a throttle body spacer, do these add-ons decrease fule milage, I live in Calgary Alberta Canada, its not that warm here and I heard that in colder climats they could hurt fule milage. I don't care about power, its a V6, it has no power, lol.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In my opinion, they're not adding a thing, except maybe a little noise.

I'd pull 'em off and go back to stock.
  5. Dion

Dion New Member

Yeah, I kind of figured so. Now I have to find someone to trade my cold air intake to for their stock stuff.

Thanks for the advice.
  6. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

with the cold temps these should not be used. the reason GM heats the throttle body is to aid in the more efficient combustion of the fuel. when the temps drop below 40 deg f or so these devices cause problems with the fuel mixtures and the cat converters..unburned fuel maybe the cause of the water as the converters will produce more water with a bad burn.

If you live where the temps are 90 deg f or more often then, these do help provide more power under these high temps.

years ago with carbs GM had a stove pipe and a vacuum controlled air valve. when the temp was cold , inside the air box , the valve sensor would cause this valve to open the port to direct hot air surrounding the exhaust manifold this would increase the air box temp to around 100 deg f. the system was used for many years. when the pipe or the manifold shroud rotted off cold hesitations and poor fuel economy was the result ..

since you have a V6 don't expect much power no matter what you do....
  7. Dion

Dion New Member

Thanks for the info. We rarely see 20C (70F) and when we do it falls below that at night because of cooler mountain air. I'm at 200,000 km and the engine sounds very smooth. My last truck was a '94 GMC with a 4.3 as well, drove it to 370,000 before selling her off. It ran great but I needed an extended cab. I don't plan on selling this truck, so stock parts seem like the way to go.

Thanks again. Cheers