1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pulling the heater core

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Crawdaddy, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, my heater core's leaking. I have been trying to get the old one out today, with not much luck. I got to the box that the core's contained in, but I can't figure out how to get the box out to get the core out. I don't see any bolts to pull and in the engine compartment I can't see anything or any way to get it out. Any help is greatly appreciated
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Try that repair manual thread I started. It ususally gives you a walk-through and photos/diagrams to follow.
  3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good luck with the repair. If you get a chance, would you mind taking some pics for those of us who might have to do this someday too?
  4. Crawdaddy

Unfortunatley, they don't provide useful pictures. I can't find the mysterious bolts/nuts that everything is talking about...
  5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do the bolts/nuts go through the firewall and have to be disconnected inside the engine bay?
  6. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I believe they are in the engine bay, I also thought that they clipped to the inner firewall? Need to be at home to look it up as I can't remember, at work right now and won't be home until 9:00am, stay tuned.

Jeff
  7. Crawdaddy

I'd agree that they have to be in the engine bay. However, I can't really see where they'd be, and attempts to feel for them so far has not resulted in anything. I gave up yesterday when it started getting dark, but I'm going to give it another crack today after I get off of work. Jmoney, if you can get a camera in the area where the bolts are, I'd be most appreciative. I so want to get this done.
  8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

We are talking about doing the the Heatcore on the 1991 Suburban right? I just want ot clarify from
    your post and the Bur you have listed? Bear with me on the Pixs, just learning more about the post area that the site has shown how and where, you know us old guys with all this Technology..

Jeff
  9. Kamd91GMC

Kamd91GMC New Member

the bolts are located on the firewall underneath/behind your A/C Condensor Can. you have to remove your resivour tank and there is 2. and then i think 1 more behind and down from the A/C Condensor
  10. Big6ft6

Big6ft6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Craw..not quite clear on the question about getthing the "box out" that heater core is contained in..but usually the heater core cover is removed from inside the engine bay..there are small nuts on studs that go through the lip of the heater core/air conditioning evaporator cover as KamD says..behind your A/C canister and stuff.

Many times the nuts are small enough to be covered by silicone/calk sealant around the heater core cover, I know on my 89 with A/C it looked like the A/C evaporator and heater core were all behind one big mess of a cover.

but definitly comes out through engine bay...99% sure.