1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Purchase the W/T package and upgrade to better than LTZ through 3rd parties?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by PantheraUncia, Feb 17, 2013.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Buying anything through the stealership is expensive. So I am going to ask the question. Would you buy the basic work truck W/T package, and then send the truck to a third party outfitter to have the LTZ upgrades done better and cheaper custom then what GM offers and wait 3 more weeks before the truck is in your hands?

I am thinking along the lines of front bench seat to 8 way power seats with heaters, turn signals in the side mirrors, stereo system with nav unit, wheels, receiver and wiring for the trailer, custom built center console between the new captains chairs, etc..... You can get a W/T for about 20-30k cheaper than an LTZ.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

i dont think you could get a full ltz package for cheaper then buying it, but i bet you could pick and choose the things you want and maybe stay cheaper. something ive never thought about.

Alex
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

IF you could do it cheaper and get what you want it would seem better. But, I don't think you could. The things you are asking about come with some heafty price tags. A custom center console that is built well and blends in with the rest of the interior sounds expensive. Now if you have friends that do that kind of work the price could be reduced.
    As far as the radio goes I would not get it from the dealer. As you know you can get better for less buy going the aftermarket route.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Buy the WT Check Yards for a LTZ that has been hit and see what you can get.. I believe the LTZ has 12 way seats (which you don't need) My Av is a LT2 Z71 with 8way seats and I am happy. Center console too I'm sure you can find. You can do it and if you are handy do it all and save some $$$ BUT will they still be covered??

You can add Katzskin Leather kit with heat and massage for about $1000, Radio with Nav $500-800 with blue tooth and everything else, Nice set of rims and tires $1200-3000, Muth Mirrors with turn Signal and heat (what I added) Retail about $260,Hitch and all the wires Which use a T harness in back you can get for about $250-300 installed..
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

@nakranij,
    I've never known you to tear down segments of your truck to undriveable condition on a weekend and have it ready to drive to work before Monday -- so I don't see you doing the work, yourself. You also seem to want a warranty ... and your aftermarket work will NOT be warranted by the stealership -- no matter who (beyond the stealership, itself) does it.
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

You are right, but Centurion and Southern Comfort do interior upgrades and are factory authorized by GM. So save the money upfront going with the base triuck (W/T) and have the upfitter upgrade it.

http://www.mcmvehicles.com/blackwidow/
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You should find out if it's covered under warranty...
  8. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Let's start with a base Silverado W/T 2WD Crew Cab and upgrade it to a 5.3L with 6 speed trans. You are looking at 30K.

In order to transform the W/T base model into an LTZ type interior the shop you are taking it to will have to completely remove the entire interior and start from scratch. Remember, the LTZ has the different dash with faux wood accents.

What about the power windows/locks/mirrors, then they would need to add in heaters and turn signals into the mirrors.

Do you want remote start? Not available on a W/T.

They they would have to replace the front end of the truck to get rid of that all flat black grill and bumper.

Then you would need to get better wheels and tires (at least $1500).

IMO you're going to spend at least 15K in parts and labor.

My 2013 LTZ had a sticker of $44K, I was able to negotiate the truck down to about 36K. The only options my LTZ did not have was nav, sunroof, and sliding rear window. I am adding an Advent nav unit ($1000) and I am really thinking of putting in a sunroof ($1200).

Now granted, when you do a customization of a truck like you are talking about, you will have a really nice one of a kind truck.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just keep an eye out in the Junk yards.. You should be able to find a truck with most of what you want for a good price..
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

This is true. But as was mentioned before doing that swap is time consuming and may not get completed in a weekend to be able to drive the truck to work on monday. Oh and no warranty.