1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

purpose of upgrading air intake

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 08bowtie, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 08bowtie

08bowtie New Member

I have never been much of a gear head but what kind of performance do you get with a cold air intake? I am looking at possibly getting a volant cold air intake system. Thanks :rofl:
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The Performance Gains by installing a CAI......just by itself are Small.....to receive Better Gains in Performance......along with installing a CAI, would be installing a set of Long Tube Headers and Cat Back Exhaust....

These 3 Bolt-ons.....will give you Solid Gains Re-guarding H.P. and M.P.G......Adding a Tune....Either Hand-Held or Custom Tune.....gives you your Best Bang for your $$$$.
  3. 08bowtie

08bowtie New Member

thanks Mike......lol I couldnt wait, I just purchased it and will be here in a few days. I am interested in adding a cat back exhaust too this summer......for now this may help with the itch to get a little more bang out of her........
  4. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

The actual Purpose of a CAI is to lower the intake air temp on your air charge entering your engine. Cooler air is more dense, so you get more into the engine, effectively increasing your dynamic compression ratio. This is why forced induction engines will use intercoolers to drop the temp, so they can get more air pushed in.

As was stated though, the effect is generally minimal from a CAI with no other mods.
    1 person likes this.
  5. troutbug

troutbug Member

Yeah, the horsepower-to-dollar ratio for these kinds of mods on the new gasoline trucks is very low. I haven't done any to mine personally, for that reason. Maybe someday, if I have money to burn! Now on a diesel, ...well that's a whole other ball game.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The CAI intakes also give better throttle response.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

They do help, and every truck and every system will react different, but right off the bat you will most likely feel a difference in your upper rpm range as they will be able to climb a little quicker and have better HWY passing ability. At least thats what I have always noticed the most. If you do an exhaust I would recommend just going to a reputable exhaust shop, paying a grand for an aftermarket cat-back isnt worth the extra money over the gains a good shop will give you. Also, big name brand isnt always the best. I had a magnaflow on my suburban and was not happy with it, the muffler had horrible HWY drone and it only lasted 2 years and had rotted through, I replaced it with a Flo-Pro muffler and have been happier. Better performance gain, no drone and way better sound on my Beast!
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As said above the colder air will wake up the motor better but getting it in faster you should get it out fast too. Also between a chrome tube and a black tube. You might like the looks of a chrome tube but you will get a better performance from the black tube.
  9. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member

I always like to epen it up at both ends right at the begining, got to let er breath, and let er blow, with the cai and a exaust you will notice a difference
  10. 08bowtie

08bowtie New Member

thank you everyone......I am just waiting for the CAI to arrive so I can install it :)