1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Push button 4wd vs Stick 4wd ~ Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ChevyFan, Oct 10, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

What's your preference, the push button 4WD or the stick 4WD? I'm looking at a truck with the stick 4WD and at first I said no way, now I'm not so sure.

Here's the 2007+ NBS 4WD rotational shifter/knob.
    10-silv-hy-audio-dw.jpg

Here's a 2012 4WD manual floor-mounted shifter.
    new-2012-chevrolet-silverado_2500hd-4wdregcab1337worktruck-8849-7721845-12-640.jpg

Looks like it's possible to purchase the button components for older Silverados. Maybe NBS as well?
    silverado-push-button-4wd.jpg

Looks like you can also purchase the shifters as well. I wonder how hard of a conversion it is?
    2002-silderado-4wd-shift-level.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Manual transfer cases are the way to go. The electronics on the feminine 4x4 are common failure points. There is no more effort involved to use a manual case than there is to shift your automatic transmission from park to drive.

Why have you been against it up to this point?
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's totally a matter of preference. Some people feel that you gain reliability out of the stick -- which is true in a sense because you're mechanically engaging the t-case instead of pushing a button and relying on wiring and a shift motor to do it. Thus, there's less to go wrong.

Unfortunately that's seldom the failure point. More common is a failure to engage the front diff ... which is electronically actuated in both the stick and push-button systems. It could be a sensor failing to signal the actuator or the actuator, itself. You get the idea ... it's a common point of failure for both systems.

So it boils down to whether you want a stick or push-button system. It may also boil down to resale implications, as the stick is usually found ont WT's and LS's whereas the push button is found on the higher trim levels that tend to hold higher values.

I personally wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if I liked everything else about the truck, but that's me.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Main concern is the position next to my foot and the loss of leg room up there on the tranny hump. At first it felt like it was up against my leg, now I'm not so sure if i wasn't being to sensitive.
  5. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member 100 Posts

The main advantage of stick over pushbutton is the ability to swap it out with a pistol grip with the word HURST on it:lol:
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's just wrong...
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would rather have a stick. When I need 4X I want to know it is in. And when you shift it in with a stick you can feel it engage and usually hear a clunk or some other noise letting you know it is in. My last company truck had a stick and in no way did I feel my leg hit the lever. I would tend to believe Steve you are somewhat sensitive to it. With that being said my truck is push button. I like SurrealOne would not let that be a deal breaker.
  8. paracutin

paracutin New Member 100 Posts

I have the push button and I always hear a noise and feel the front diff engage. I have never questioned if it was working or not. As mentioned earlier, the diff is electronically engaged regardless of the shift method. My Wrangler had a manual transfer case and the front diff felt exactly the same as my 2500HD when it engaged. Definitely not a deal breaker. I like both.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

one thing i dont like on my new truck is the twist 4x4 engage. i liked the push button 4x4 in my old 05 better, i kinda wish the floor shift was availible on more trim levels, i like the feel of the manual better, plus its less things on the dash. if i remember steve, you are fairly tall, so maybe your knee/shin might tap the lever from to time, but a accidental engagement it fairly difficult, and the dash will light up if its engaged, so you will know its its on if that is something you are worried about.

something else to consider is how you use the truck, gonna have gloves on alot, the floor shift may be better (easier to get ahold of) if you dont use it much, the twist knob might be fine. drive em both, use em both and see what you like better. as far as switching from one to the other, im sure it could be done, but i bet i wouldnt be cheap.

Alex
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've had both the floor shifter and the electronic dial. I offroad often and on a couple of occasions I've tripped the sensor on some very aggressive obstacles and it got stuck in the mode I was in (both times it was 4wd low). Luckily, I had my programmer (which I always carry actually) with me. I just reset my computer and was able to get it to work again. I'm not sure what caused it but it could have been a huge inconvenience if I did not have my programmer with me. However, that has not happened to me again in a couple of years. ...And yes, I do hear the clunk when switching modes.

Other than that, I like the extra floor space it gives me. I added some molded carpet that gives that area a tray, and I use it often. Even though I had a couple of issues with it initially, my preference is to have the dial vs the floor because of the additional space it provides me.