Push button 4wd vs Stick 4wd ~ Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ChevyFan, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm going to go look at the 12 with floor shift tomorrow again and see if i can't work out a deal on this bad boy. They're are a good number out there to be had if a guy I'd patient actually.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

good luck with that steve, let us know how it goes!

Alex

3. 87silver

87silver Member 1 Year

Getting back to the original question, it is certainly a matter of preference. If you're looking for advice based upon people's experience, here's mine. I have both (floor shift in my '87 Silverado 4x4 and push button in my '02 S10 4x4 Pickup)

Over the years, experienced that:
    1) the pushbutton is more convenient, mainly due to interior ergonomics
    2) the floorshift is more reliable; never had an issue in 25 years for the floorshift; had 1 issue with the electronic pushbutton
    3) psychologically, (and most likely mechanically), the floorshift feels more solid and dependable

Overall, I like the mechanical floorshift.

4. steved

steved Former Member

The only thing I would want to know is what the default "failure" setting is for the transfercase actuator. There is at least one manufacturer that has a default of "neutral", which leaves you stranded when it fails. That was the reason I had a manual stick in my last truck...

I look at it this way...with a electronic shift transfercase and front diff actuator, there are two potential points of failure; whereas the manual shift transfercase and electronic front diff actuator leaves only one.

FWIW, my 2012 has the manual shift transfercase...the only drawback I see is that the shifter takes up part of the console (if you need to set something there, like service radios) and its a little more user involved (its easier to push a button/rotate a knob).