1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Push Button

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by EagleTalons, Nov 12, 2008.

1. EagleTalons

EagleTalons New Member

I finally got tired of having my key get stuck in the start position so I took the time to make a push button start!

I went to my local auto parts dealer which is located in an old has been bar and bought an indicator light, a black rocker switch and a green toggle which lights up (kinda). I then proceeded about 400 yards to the south east to purchase a push button. This all totaled about 15 dollars? Or so.

I started by finding where the key rod went to. As this was new territory and I had never been there. I then located it and popped the connector off and used a wire tester to located the hot wires. I was not satisfied with that so I found an internet reference site to use. I found out what those wires did and wired them accordingly.

I then took the dash and found some spade drill bits which work very nicely for plastic and poked some holes for the light, toggle and push button. The rocker needed a hole of it's own so I custom fitted it with the dremel.

After I got the switches wired together and straightened out, I took the dash out which was starting to show its true silver coloring behind the black. I then found some spray paint that I had used on a metal bending project and placed some news paper on the floor. I then proceeded to lightly "mist" the dash and keep the runs to a minimum which is almost impossible, because I paint like a paraplegic... I thought of an idea to make the paint dry faster by using a heat gun which dramatically shortened my dry time.

I then put it all back together and placed the switches in their holes. I test drove it over to the feedlot but a wire popped off the run switch. I then had to make an emergency fix which has proven to work great! At first I used a small bolt with the other wires on it with those round connectors, but I had all this weight on the switch which caused it to pull out of the terminal. So I took some extra wire I had in the truck and hooked it onto the blob and now it rests on a ledge somewhere below the dash.

I now have a low quality phone video! Taken by my friend who has a Scottsdale a year older than mine, but has a 400 in it and is the K model. We exchange a lot of info and parts.

Switch Legend.
    Amber Light = ON
    Black Rocker = On/Off switch
    Green Toggle = Starter Safety
    Silver Button = Starter

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2MT9dcaKNk[/media]NEW VIDEO!!! I shake a little when I run the camera...

A new still I took.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

"Necessity is the Mother of invention" or something like that! Looks good!
  3. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Congrats on your install. I've often thought of switching one of my vehicles to a push button start. It just seems to race car-ish and different. I may just have to decide to do it one of these days!
  4. itsnitro

itsnitro New Member

Very cool, you did a good job with that.
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

nice
    sweet little stetup
  6. EagleTalons

EagleTalons New Member

Thanks everyone! Sometimes I like to pretend I'm a race car driver. =P I'm going to go out and get some better pictures of it and better quality video!

Got the new media. Have a look!
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008