1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pushbutton vs lever

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jswilson, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jswilson

jswilson New Member

i just got a 97 Z71 and it has a push button transfer case. i don't know much about them but from what i read on them there not that good. i had a truck the same year with a lever shift transfer and it just seams more reliable to me. what is your thoughts on the push button and can the transfer be switched the a lever?

thanks
  2. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

I have owned both. No diffrence in reliability in my opinion. I like the pushbutton,it seems to engage quicker.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Theres no reliability difference. Most older drivers that had manually shifted transfer cases prefer the manual case because it's what they learned how to drive on, they know it. I prefer a manually shifted case because it's familiar to me.
  4. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

I own a '97 2500 with the push button. Doesn't seem right to me either. I haven't found it any different then others I've owned. But I like the feeling of pulling back the lever over pushing a button. Must be a guy thing.
  5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree. Pulling that level and hearing the clunk is my preference because then I know it engaged.
  6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

couldnt have said it better myself :great:
  7. Duramax04

Duramax04 Rockstar

My old work truck is a 97 Z-71 with the push button and so far it has been problem free. No complaints.
  8. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

my 94 z71 has a pull lever on the floor and i dig it. it looks more "off roady" IMO haha. only problem is i hate shifting into 4L because if you do it wrong you clash gears. other than that i prefer floor
  9. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Hate HATE push button. Ive owned several trucks with it and each one has given me problems. The 04 I have now constantly gives me a service 4wd message due to a loose wire in the wiring harness to the 4wd selector buttons.
  10. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

I do not like push button at all & have had no luck! I had 3 Chevy trucks & all have had issue. Started with 97 yukon (motor), now my 2000 Tahoe (front axle actuator), and my 2005 Suburban (position sensor). Looking into making them manual so my damn 4x4 will work without costing me $200 every year.
    My 1990 works everytime, just pull lever & lock hubs. Simple works!