1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Pushing it? Towing question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by toughwaters, Sep 17, 2010.

1. toughwaters

toughwaters New Member

Last night we found a travel trailer that both the Wife and I love. Im just afraid it will be to heavy to pull. I have a 2010 suburban 1500 with the 5.3 liter engine 4x4. I believe I can pull up to 8100 pounds. The trailer weighs 6500 pounds dry, so probably around 7500 pounds wet with all the gear and misc stuff. Can my suburban handle it? Or should I look for something lighter? Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How long is the trailer?
  3. toughwaters

toughwaters New Member

If I remember right its about 27'
  4. ntbush83

Well would expect you to not have a problem pulling with suburban. Most of those standard hitch trailers pull pretty easy. As long as your comfortable pulling it i'd say go for it!
  5. toughwaters

toughwaters New Member

I feel fine pulling it, I was just worried about burning up my tranny or engine. This is my first Chevy so Im not sure how well they tow. Obviously I would be using a EQ hitch and trailer brakes so that helps a bit to.
  6. ntbush83

Oh as far as engine and tranny you should be a 100% fine. Especially if this is just gonna be a weekend towing job. From my personal experience with hauling all sorts of trailers, chevys can pull and pull and pull.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

An 8100 pound capacity for a half ton truck sounds a little high. I'd guess it's actually around 5500 maybe. You might get away towing that much, but it may not be "safe".
  8. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

The online brochure says 7900 lb max for a 1500 4wd base model. "Any added features plus passengers decrease the max trailer weight you can tow." How much does that aftermarket DVD player you installed weigh?:neutral: No really, just because you can doesn't mean you should. All the stuff you take along does add up quick (clothes,food,chairs,ice chests, bikes,blahblah...). If you're right guessing 7500 lb loaded, you are pretty close to the limit. You will definitely notice a difference in your ability to stop safely and in pulling uphill, but in the end it's up to you. I just wouldn't want to see you void your warranty or anything, though that may be hard for them to prove.
  9. toughwaters

toughwaters New Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. The good news is that the wife found a lighter trailer she likes. So problem solved.
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Does she like the other trailer because you told her this one was too heavy, or did she just naturally find a floorplan and featureset she liked better?