1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

putter putt putt

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by johnmeade2, Mar 25, 2009.

1. johnmeade2

johnmeade2 New Member

for some reason when i am driving through a parking lot or backing up or just driving slow, when i take my foot off the gas the truck starts to sputter like it wants to die (sometimes it does). what would cause that?
  2. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

What kind of truck, motor??
  3. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

How long has it been doing it for?

Bad gas maybe? Spark plugs/wires? tune up? could be tons of stuff.
  4. johnmeade2

johnmeade2 New Member

its a 95 silverado with a 350 i have only had the truck a month and it started doing it about a week after i bought it. I changed the plugs, wires, dist. cap, oil, air filter, had the throttle body cleaned, I even took it to auto zone to see if they could get some codes from it and they got nothing, it's not too much of a problem but it very annoying!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd say throw a can of SeaFoam into it next time you fuel up and maybe pick up a second to do the intake and all. It will clean things out a little bit more and hopefully take help with the issue.

Like Kady said.. it could be one of quite a few things. From air/fuel mixture, idle, failing o2 sensor perhaps? Good luck with it all.
  6. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a truck like that once......man i miss the cam in that thing...you could almost count each cylinder firing....:great:...Does sound like fuel though/.....
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

:sign0018:Just a reminder that everyone should update their profile and signature to give people answering your questions a head start and this will provide faster response time. See my signature for more info on that.
  8. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ditto on the seafoam.

I would check the EGR too and test for vacuum leaks. good starting points since you've already tuned it up.
  9. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Unfortunately you have a truck with the engine that has a history of intake issues. What you are describing is a typical intake problem. Pull the plugs on the passenger side of the engine. If you notice a crusty build up on the electrode, the intake is leaking anti-freeze and sucking it into the engine fouling the plugs. That will cause the idle issues, but if the plugs are clean and grayish in color, remove the EGR valve and clean the carbon out of it, re-install and run the sea foam. I'm 99% sure you'll find your problem with the intake gasket leaking.
    1 person likes this.