1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Q&A thread about ROTM contests

Discussion in 'Ride Of The Month' started by ct9a, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

This forum is ONLY to be used for ROTM WINNERS. All other posts will be moved.

I noticed a lot of you asking questions in last months poll thread. I apologize for not answering them right away since I was gone for a lot of the month. Instead of answering them in that thread, I decided to start this one where you can ask and I will try and answer when I'm around.

Update (4/5/2011): Please choose the ROTM "How to enter" link on the menu for the latest post on how to enter.
  2. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Is it only you who chooses? What do you base your calls on? Why not make it an actual nomination by other members instead of the "pick me" process currently in place?
  3. Jarrett

Jarrett New Member

I agree, with TYMBOM, and if that is the case I will nominate him for Ride of the Month for March.
  4. Pats1pab1

Pats1pab1 Member

I can see, and agree, with nominating other members, there is a lot of people putting their trucks in the race for feb.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  5. Jarrett

Jarrett New Member

I think the race for February is over. We are now moving on to March.
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

suggestion

I think that there should be 3 seperate categories each month for rotm, and you would be allowed one vote in each category per month.

S10/colorado-small midsize trucks
    Silverado- full size pickups
    Tahoe/suburban/blazer- suv/crossover

It is too biased towards the fullsize trucks right now, and I think a lot of people are really fed up with the whole rotm thing anyway. But it would be nice to give the little guys a chance!!
  7. ct9a

Yes, I am the one who does the picking. There are certain criteria that the chosen members must meet that the moderator team as a whole agreed upon. The criteria is pretty relaxed and is based on the member's level of activity (how many posts) and time of membership (how many months the member has been around). The reason for these is we have seen (and I'm sure all of you have seen it happen as well) members join, become very active for a few months and then drop off the face of the earth. For the most part, we want to make sure that the contestants/winners are those that are going to stick around for a while and not take away the pride of winning/competing from those that are true members of this community.

As far as how I go about picking those that meet the criteria, I try to choose a group of trucks that would make for the most interesting race. Obviously if I put one lifted modded truck in with three stockers, the outcome is already made. I also try to make sure that I throw rides that I see as unique or interesting into the mix when I can.

I'm not opposed to the idea of true nominations, this is just how it's always been done, and the way I was taught to run it when I took over the duties. In the end, it's going to come down to me, or someone else, picking anyway. I think that it would be very difficult to keep it to four nominees each month. Also the criteria that the moderator team sets into place, whether its the current points or modified points, would still have to be met.
    1 person likes this.
  8. ct9a

Yes, there seem to be A LOT of interest in getting into the game lately. I forgot to mention that I try to make sure that everyone gets a chance. If you haven't noticed, there hasn't been a repeat contender in a long time. I'm trying to make sure that it's as fair as an internet forum poll can be.
  9. ct9a

Yes, the nomination process for Feb. is over, but the poll just opened for voting. The Mar. nomination thread is open as well.
  10. ct9a

Again, a good idea that I don't oppose. The only thing would be that we would need to find other mods to run the additional polls. It takes me about 30-45 minutes for each month's poll, and probably a total of over an hour each month for everything else involved. Unfortunately, my schedule and other restraints that I have do not allow for this amount of time and dedication to be tripled.

I agree with you that the full size trucks have the edge for some reason, I personally like the mini's and SUV's a lot and would like to see more of them take the honors. At this point all I can do is try to make sure they get their chance and then it's in the hands of the voters.

You know, for people being so fed up with ROTM, there sure is a whole lot of interest in it. If it really is that bad, then send Steve an email asking for the contest to be overhauled into something else and stop playing and participating in the mean time. I'm sure that if there is enough response, the moderator team will consider other events/games/etc. Bottom line is, it's a game. I put it on each month for you folks to enjoy, not get frustrated or upset with. When it gets to the point of no fun, then its to the point where the game needs to change or end.