1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Q? About axles

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by DamnThatMexican, May 6, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. DamnThatMexican

DamnThatMexican New Member

I know that poeple swap out axles from half ton to 3\4 ton but my Q is what's the differs cents in 1986 axles and 1988 axles? If they where both 4wd should've fit then? O I heard that you should put in the abs on a old suburban, is this true? Thanks
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think that gm switched the front axle to IFS in 1988. So, the front axle between the 86 and 88 will be different. That if it is a 1500, I think that they waited until 1992 to go ifs on the 1 ton trucks. Adding ABS would be pretty involved. you would have to add wheel speed sensors, a computer or abs module, and do modifications to the braking system to add the abs "pump"
  3. DamnThatMexican

DamnThatMexican New Member

Ooo ok good a enough ya me and a friend where talking about this and wanted to see if it was true
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Suburbans 1500/2500 and F/S Blazers retained solid axles until 1992.
    92 on up they share IFS with the rest of the truck line.
    So you could source an 88-91 Blazer or Suburban axle to use on an earlier pick-up.
    As far as putting ABS on an older Suburban that would be more of a personal preference unless state inspection requirements made you.
    personally if I was putting a newer axle in an older truck I'd simply leave the ABS system disconnected since chances are the truck didnt have ABS origanally and to retrofit would be more work than I want to do. But I'm not a fan of most ABS systems anyways.
  5. Pikey

Thank you for the correction. I made the mistake and assumed that when the pickups were switched over so were the SUVs
  6. donl

donl New Member 100 Posts

The 1988 K3500 4x4 had the IFS front end. It was my company pickup...single rear wheel of course.
  7. Pikey

Apparently, the place that I got my info from was not all that great. Sorry for giving the incorrect info.
  8. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

The 1 ton crew cabs didn't change over to the new body style and IFS until 1992. The crew cab bodies and Suburban bodies share many panels. The reg. cab and newly intro-ed extended cab 1 tons used the new body style and ifs from 1988 on.