Quadrasteer

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by moosetags, Aug 15, 2009.

1. moosetags

moosetags Rockstar 100 Posts

Are the any other Quadrasteers out there?

Chime in and let's discuss Quadrasteer issues.

I have two Quadrasteers, an '05 Yuk XL 2500 with 73,000 miles and an '04 Sub 2500 with 57,000 miles on it.

I'll start it off.

I run in the Quadrasteer mode at all times, and in the 4 wheel steering trailer mode when towing.

I have not had any Quadrasteer problems with either of my Subs.

I have the Quadrasteers serviced every 15,000 miles.

I love the way that Quadrasteer handles my 26' travel trailer.

Quadrasteer creates "trick Suburbans". A Suburban with the turning radius of a Honda Civic is really amazing.

Quadrasteer Suburbans are very identifiable with their roof, rear wheel well, and back marker lights.

The rear track of a Quadrasteer is 5" wider than the front track. This is very noticable when following one.

I think that GM made a mistake when they discontinued Quadrasteer in 2006.

Brian

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've never driven one, but I pulled a 5th wheel for several years and wondered how much better the Q/S would have been. The "short" turning radius has to be a great benifit!

3. moosetags

The Qsteer is really great with a trailer. We regularly pull our 26' Airstream, and I can back it into places that I probably couldn't otherwise.

4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I remember the first time i saw a quadrasteer. I freaked out cause i thought the guys rear axle broke or something.

5. moosetags

I have had several interesting experiences while driving the Quadrasteers.

I was stopped by a police car in Bowling Green, Kentucky. The Officer turned behind at an intersection. Seeing the rear wheels turning, he that my left rear wheel was coming off.

Recently in a Wal-Mart parking lot, I was backing from a spot when a man walking in the lot was so intent at watching the back wheels on my Suburban turn, he walked right into a parked car.

On several occasions, people have come up to me at gas stations and in parking lots and asked if they were imagining things or did my back wheel actually turn.

6. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

I read so many great things about quadrasteer, except for the cost. I wish I had it.

7. moosetags

That's correct. When the Quadrasteer option was first offered in 2003, it was on the sticker at $4995! By the last year it was offered (2005), they had it priced at $1995. It still didn't get a lot of takers. GM didn't help things by marketing Quadrasteer to ranchers, backing stock trailers. They should have pushed it to soccer Moms trying to score that Wal-Mart parking slot facing on the opposite angle.

8. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

lol thats a great story

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Similar to their minivans. Remember the Lumina APV with the windshield that was about 5 feet long? I talked to a GM sales rep about them. Women hated them, couldnt see where the vehicle ended. Could of sold a million of them otherwise. Gotta hand it to Ioccoca for getting that one right.

10. peacekeeper

peacekeeper New Member

I had a chance to get an '03 Burban with the Q/S, but was scared off because of parts availability and servicing...every mechanic I spoke to said they wouldnt know how to work on them because of their lack of expirience with them...most had never had one in the shop.