1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quesion on replacing factory stereo!!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by rrod7390, Sep 3, 2010.

1. rrod7390

rrod7390 New Member

I have an 05 silverado and the cd player stopped working, and half of the lights on the controls went out. It wont take the cd's or give them back. So i was thinking of going to a salvage yard and see f i can find a decent radio to replace it with. But is it possible to do that? To take a stock stereo from another chevy and put it in mine?
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

You'll need to have the dealer flash it which is normally around $80. I would just get a aftermarket deck.
  3. karz4life87

karz4life87 New Member

I second that going for an aftermarket one. You will be much happier with an aftermarket deck. You can get a brand new
    aftermarket deck for around $80.
  4. Brennan_Russell

Brennan_Russell New Member

if u go after market and have a i-pod i would make sure it has a port for it. or if your even thinking about getting a i-pod or mp3 there nice. alot better than cds and dont have to worry about digging for cds in the cab.
  5. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

yeah.....just make sure you get a harness though..makes it a lot easier to wire.
  6. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

amen on the harness. also on newer trucks if you don't use a harness goos luck starting your truck! it'll set off the anti theft system. Which makes no sense. If someone steals your radio then you can't start your car? doesn't make sense to me.
  7. rrod7390

rrod7390 New Member

Cool thanks for the info. Ima replace it with my buddies stereo from his 05 silverado and just get the code from the dealer. and i dont want aftermarket because i dont want to attract any attention to my truck and get broken into and have my whole system stolen. Three of my friends already got broken into here in San Antonio. lol

I was thinking of getting the iSimple Gateway from bestbuy to connect my iphone. But the 180 bucks is a little steep for an aux input.

Has anyone ever used the iSimple? How good it works? and sound quality?
  8. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

I've never used the ipod hookups like that because i've always had an aftermarket stereo but a couple of my buddies have had them and to be honest they didn't like them very much. One said his was inconsistent in the sound quality especially while stopped for some reason? But they make after market stereo's with detachable face plates so it doesn't attract thieves to your truck. In my opinion with the $180's you could get a really nice deck and all the wiring harness and install kit and you'd have multiple ways to plug in your ipod and your truck would sound much better.