1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question about 63 Fairlane fuel pump?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MauryFrench, Apr 13, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. MauryFrench

MauryFrench New Member 100 Posts

I know, I know. Wrong site. But I get better answers from you guys so I want to ask here. It has a straight 6 with a mechanical fuel pump. We are not getting fuel to the carburetor. We discovered there is no suction at the fuel intake when it is being cranked. This tells me it is bad, but I am constantly surprised with cars and the weird things they may do.

Am I correct in my assumption the the FP is bad because there is no suction at the intake?

Second question. Old canister type fuel filter. Should I just replace the filter inside the screw on bowl, or should I just switch to an inline filter?

Thanks in advance. Please accept my apologies in advance if you are shocked or appalled at a Ford question.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What you should is get the paperwork ready and give me your address so I can bring my trailer and get that problem out of your hair no thanks necessary since Im local I can be over shortly to clean up your yard. J/K.
    With older mechanical pumps you normally get a few common problems.
    Trash filled filter is one yes replace that old filter with a new style after 50 yrs if you havent had the fuel tank serviced you probably have rust scale and debris in the tank.
    Another problem is deterioration of the rubber membrane in the fuel pump.
    If you can find a block off plate for the fuel pump Id recommend blocking it off and adding an electric puller pump under the hood.
    Mechanical pumps were great during their time but an electric pump can improve performance a lot and help avoid vapor lock which can be a common problem on older cars in this area during summer months.
    If you havent done it I might recommend dropping the fuel tank and at the very least clean it out real good. Optimally you would have it boiled out and resealed then replace the fuel lines but that'll cost and Without knowing your future plans it might be more than want to spend.
  3. MauryFrench

MauryFrench New Member 100 Posts

Ah, if only mine to give. This car has been in the family since day one; Uncle George bought it new, drove it a year, then sold it to my wife's grandfather. It has made it down the pike to my 18 year old son. It's been sitting the better part of 15 years driven sparingly. We had it running a couple of years ago but that was it.

We are really just getting after it, but he plans a partial restoration (all depends on money) but to at least get it legal to drive. Straight 6, three on the tree. No AC or power anything.

We are hoping to get it running just as a step now, but I am afraid that starting back at the gas tank and moving forward is our plan. We may try with a new fuel pump, sticking to mechanical now but probably converting to electric as we learn more. If we can at least get it running we can drive it around to burn up the gas we put in it recently then we can drop the tank and have it serviced at a radiator shop or similar.

So Mr. TBplus10, you and I didn't get tickets to the race, huh. Thanks for the input.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its definately easier if you know most of the history of an older vehicle like that. Sounds like a good vehicle to continue keeping in the family.
    I had a chance for race tickets for today but had to tend family business instead. I did attend practice Thursday and qualifying along with the race friday night.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've had a lot of cars with the old mechanical fuel pumps (including a '64 Merc, but most were GMs). I remember the two most common problems, were the pump diaphragm wearing out, or the operating arm wearing out. A new pump will solve both problems.

First though, I'd replace the filter and clean the bowl that might be the problem. While your in the filter bowl, stick a pipe cleaner into the lines, if the pipe cleaner comes out real dirty, the lines may need to be flushed.