Question about back up camera

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by Bryy, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Bryy

Bryy New Member

Hello, I recently was given Photo200.jpg a new work van, a 2017 diesel express. The van is great so far,except the leg room! This van uses the rear view mirror as the back up camera but only works when the van is in reverse. Since the van has no rear windows I would like the back up camera to work all the time. Is there a simple fix for this? Thanks

2. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

1, why? 2, sure just take your new company vehicle locate the wiring harness going to the camera open the harness snip the power wire and run your own wire to the fuse box under the hood and connect it to continuous power

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Like @squatchy suggests, you need power. That will turn on the camera, then you need to turn on the display.

The trans going into reverse signals the BCM to turn on the camera and the display.

Bryy likes this.
  4. Bryy

Bryy New Member

Oh OK, I can't do that but thanks for the info. I just like seeing what's behind me at all times. All other FedEx vans cameras work continuously. This is the first vehicle in our fleet that uses rear view mirror. Its a great van overall.

5. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Odd. And there ya go, @RayVoy knows more about them than me. I've only actually used aftermarket so I didn't know the bcm was involved. Sounds like a lot of stuff to trick

RayVoy and Bryy like this.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Now, that's not to say, you can't add a new monitor.

Like @squatchy suggested earlier, disconnect the camera and wire it to a new monitor.

7. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

Get one of the vehicles that works the way you want it to. Or Ask FedEx for a "reasonable accommodation" - to be able to see out through the back of the truck, and they can decide to switch your truck, ad windows to yours or add a full time rear camera.

Although, my best advice knowing how "corporate" works, is once they find out one of their professional driver has a problem driving one of their specially made vehicles, that driver's days will be numbered. I would keep my eyes on the road and my mouth shut.