1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question about changing out serpentine belt

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rfdillon, Oct 27, 2007.

1. rfdillon

rfdillon Member

Folks, as I am getting ready to take the 1990 GMC Suburban for a long trip soon, I thought about changing out the serpentine belt. It seems as though I have done this a long while ago, but am forgetting some details....So, a couple of questions:

First of all, I put a cheater bar and socket on the lower of the two wheels to loosen the tension, right? Which way to I turn the cheater bar, toward the driver's side or toward the passenger side? (this is a 350 gasoline engine)?

Do I need to loosen up the top most wheel before I adjust the bottom, or do I leave it alone?

Thanks so much for helping to answer a dumb question!
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Leave the top wheel alone, just put a nice 3’ bar on the correct size socket and pry the wheel away from the belt, remove the belt and slowly release the wheel back to its original position.

Put new belt on. in reverse Easy.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure you get the correct belt. I bought one and told the parts guy 'yes' when he asked if it had a smog pump. Wrong answer. Belt was too long and always jumping off. Keep the old one in the vehicle as a back up on the trip.