Question about CV axles on 2000 Silverado NBS

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by lancelincoln, Feb 22, 2010.

1. lancelincoln

lancelincoln New Member

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4WD. The boot ripped on my driver's side CV axle so I put a replacement boot on it and drove it home (slowly for only a couple blocks luckily). Anyway, the axle is shot and I don't have the cash for a replacement for a couple weeks. I am going to replace both sides at the same time. My question is, could I remove the axles for now and drive it around safely? I actually have a spare set of the outer parts of the axles, the part with the splines that I could throw into the hubs to keep the wheel bearings safe. Also I figured if this was safe, it would give me the opportunity to listen for wheel bearing noise with a variable removed. Hopefully someone has some insight on this, I have been looking at links from Google about this for hours now and can't find a solid answer. It looks to be not possible on the pre-2000 trucks, but I read that after that the front hub assembly is the same as 2WD meaning the axle should have no load on the bearing.

Sorry this was so long winded, just wanted to make sure I covered all necessary areas and let you all know that I have searched.

Thank you,
    Mike

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No you can't remove the axles. The axle nut holds the front bearing together and also the front diff would leak all the oil out if the axle is removed. Your best bet is to park it until you can buy axles for it. If an axle breaks it could do a lot of damage up front there.

3. lancelincoln

lancelincoln New Member

I was afraid of that. I could solve the wheel bearing issue with the outer parts of the half shafts I have and could actually seal the diff with the CV extension plates that came with my lift but prefer to not risk it. I just hate this deathtrap car my buddy loaned me. I guess I should just be thankful I have good enough friends to get a loaner car. Thanks for your input.

4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Are talking about removing your CV's and just using the outer part in the hub to hold the Hub Assembly together like in the pic.

[​IMG]

If that's the case then you can run around forever without the CV's attached. Just disconnect them from the Diff flange and use the outer part of the CV (Rzeppa Joint) to hold the hub assembly together. You won't have 4WD but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. lancelincoln

lancelincoln New Member

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to do. At this point in the season 4 wheel drive is not necessary, so I figured I could save the $200 for now and do just what you showed me. Thank you very much for your response.

6. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Also, check out Rock Auto for CV pricing. I know you can get brand new 3/4 ton CV's from them for $65.00Ea so I'm pretty sure 1/2 ton CV's would be at least the same price if not less. That's $130.00 for brand new CV's. You'll save yourself at least $70.00.