1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question about drop shackles and air bags..

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by JRD761, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a friend of mine that wants to sell me 2'' rear drop shackles for my 2004 1500..

I already have Airaid airbags on the rear end to help level out the truck when I tow (Maybe once in a couple months).. and really want to keep them on there..
    Can you have the drop shackles, and the air bags? I know it kind of defeats the purpose of the drop shackles.. but I figured when there's no air in the air bags it wouldn't matter much..
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think you'll have to rework your air bag mounts so you dont flatten the bags and pinch them.
    But it's possible to do. You really never want to run the bags totally empty, this allows them to get wrinkles that can get pinched, keep just enough air so the bags stay puffed out some.
  3. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

What do you mean by "rework the airbag mounts"? Change the places where they are at on the spring??
    I always keep around 10 psi in them.. and plan to continue to do so.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have Air Lift rear air bags,along with a 2in rear Shackle drop......No problems at all with the bags,and I also keep a min of 10-psi in the bags.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010