question about egr vs A.I.R.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ras, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ras

ras Rockstar

does anyone know of a website or something where I can input my VIN to see which one I have. I would just look but I am in Iraq so I'm not exactly close to my truck right now. and I asked my wife to go take a picture of the exhaust manifolds and I got a picture of the coils. lol so I need an alternate way to find out.

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry I'm not following you. Are you looking to get an EGR valve and O2 sensor. Cuz if you give me VIN I can ask dealership for ya and post back?

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think he's trying to determine if his engine has EGR, or an air pump.
    As far as I know they stopped putting air pumps on these engines when OBD II came along (1996), as EGR was easier to manage with OBD II, and more efficient. But I could be wrong.

We would need to know more about your rig, if you can provide that info.

4. Cableguy

I looked back in his posts and its a 99' Z71 5.3l, wouldn't that be 5.7l. I thought 5.3l didn't come out till later? 99 would definitely be EGR managed by OBDII, correct?

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 5.3L was offered in '99.

My book doesn't give indications of a cut-off where air pumps were no longer used. It's possible they were still included, but I'd guess that they were more than likely used in conjunction with EGR, not as a substitute by 1999.

I think we need a better explanation of what he means by A.I.R.

6. ras

ras Rockstar

ok what im goin for here is I'm buying headers and dont know if I have EGR or the A.I.R. thingy. I have gathered that the air thing just runs when you start the vehicle up to lower the emmisions. while I'm on this discovery path does anyone know how to tell with out seeing the vehicle if i would have a double flanged manifolds or flange / ball?

7. Cableguy

As far as I can tell all indicates in the 5.3L that it is the A.I.R. system for 99 and the it's double flanged. There is quite a few different companys that make this header and do list as factory replacement.