Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Question about first gear in auto tahoe sport

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by HarryMattu, Mar 7, 2007.

1. HarryMattu

HarryMattu New Member

Hi Guys

I have a '95 Tahoe Sport Auto transmission. Every weekend, my Tahoe is in the desert. The problem that i am facing starts when i have to engage the first gear to drive up some steep dunes. When the tahoe reaches the top speed for the first geat, it shifts to the second one. According to me, when it reaches the top speed for the first gear, it should not move to the second one just like in a manual tranny.

Your comments please.

1 person likes this.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you not selecting "D", and instead selecting "1"? Just trying to make sure I understand you.

3. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think GM put some overrides in the programming of the transmissions to keep them from over-revving the engine. It won't go down to low until a certain RPM is reached and will shift out of low when a certain RPM is reached. Not positive, but I think this is correct. If not, I'm sure someone will put me back in my place.

4. HarryMattu

HarryMattu New Member

Yup, I mean 1 and not the D gear. Lemme exaplin. When i need to cross a steep sand dune, i need all the torque. As the tahoe starts to gain momentum in the first gear, it shifts to second which results in loss of momentum and torque. It starts losing speed 'cos of the reduction in speed and then shifts back to the first gear but the momentum is lost.

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think Gary's right. There may be no way around it except to have the computer reprogrammed.

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 06 Silverado does the same thing. I use '1st' gear when coming down an incline offroad and then when I reach level ground, I keep going and as the speed increases the trans shifts to 2nd and 3rd. Then I slow down and bang!! it shifts back to 1st gear! More than likely a feature to protect the trans.