Question about power door lock switch .....

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Terry Hooks, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Terry Hooks

Terry Hooks New Member

1988 Silverado, neither power door lock switch works. All power window switches work fine and locking the doors is not a problem. Any ideas on what might be going on? I've checked the fuse panel... all good. Had door panels off to install new window felts, wiring looks good... connections solid. Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Terry Hooks

Terry Hooks New Member

Any thoughts......anyone?? :neutral:

3. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

The lock actuators? They went in both of my rear doors in my 96 suburban.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Could be the switches themselves that went out.

I thought that 88s had a relay for the locks but I could be wrong.

5. Terry Hooks

Terry Hooks New Member

I just read online that the 88's door lock switches are wired up in a way that when one switch goes bad, neither will work. I've ordered 2 new switches, gonna see what replacing them does. ( one at a time so maybe I can prove or disprove this) Thanks for the input guys!

6. Terry Hooks

Terry Hooks New Member

Passenger side switch was the culprit. Replaced and everything is back to normal. The switches are wired in a series circuit, thus when one goes out..... neither will work. (same principle as most Christmas lights)

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's useful info to know in advance of such a problem. I'm glad you got it sussed out!

8. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Glad to know you got it fixed. Those older trucks could be a pain in trying to figure out electrical stuff.

9. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My '01 is wired the same way. This past December I installed new speakers all through my truck. If i had the power window/lock cluster unplugged from one door, the other door wouldn't work at all.